-
how change root partition?
Hi,
Knoppix installs only to a single partition and I would like to change the root partition from /dev/hda6 to /dev/hda1. Having some familiarity with redhat and mandrake, I thought I could just format the needed partitions, copy the data from the current root partition like this:
cp -a /{bin,boot,dev,etc,initrd,lib,root,sbin,tmp,var} /mnt/hda1
cp -a /home/* /mnt/hda11
cp -a /usr/* /mnt/hda14
then add to /etc/lilo.conf a new entry that has a 'root=/dev/hda1' line (the old line 'root=/dev/hda6' had been global, but I made it local), make it the default entry, run lilo, edit the new /etc/fstab (on /dev/hda1) to reflect the new disk layout, and reboot. But when I did that, the root partition was still /dev/hda6. Since the output of
rdev /mnt/hda1/vmlinuz
was '/dev/hda6', I figured maybe the 'hardcoding' of the root partition in the kernel was somehow overriding the lilo setting, so I ran
rdev /mnt/hda1/vmlinuz /dev/hda1
then checked that the hardcoding changed as intended, and rebooted, but that still didn't help. Then I thought that since /dev/root.old was mounted at /initrd, maybe /initrd/linuxrc was playing a role in determining the root partition, so I changed the lines:
echo 256 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
...
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda6 /mnt
to instead read:
echo 0x301 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
...
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt
and rebooted, but the root partition was still /dev/hda6.
At this point, dmesg says:
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=301 hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce
Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks,
John
PS: I asked about this problem at debianhelp.org, and the resulting thread is at this url:
http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.ph...ic&topic=657&6
The kind folks there couldn't suggest a fix (though their suggestions made this post more complete), but they did wonder why all the hard drives were declared as scsi in the kernel command line, and whether the knoppix kernel was somehow targeted (in some way other than rdev) to hda6. I don't know the answer to either question.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Isn't this forum great? Your query answered within a year or your pizza is free
Yes, well ... I've been trying to do the same thing, and I think I've found the sticking point.
[SNIP]
No I haven't. OK, I really don't get this.
I am also trying to use reiserfs for / and when I try booting without an initrd the kernel won't do it? Does it not recognise reiser without a module?
--
Mike
-
i've always had great success with clonig partitions using dd when run from a live-cd! Just boot knoppix live-cd and try "sudo dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/dev/hda1" this will even move the filesystem onto another partition. could take a while so rent yourself a good movie
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
zz9pluralzalpha
I am also trying to use reiserfs for / and when I try booting without an initrd the kernel won't do it? Does it not recognise reiser without a module?
A kernel configured the same way as the default knoppix kernel has the reiserfs support as a module (because that way you can get rid of it if you don't use reiserfs) If you recompile the kernel and specify that you want the reiserfs code directly in the kernel you will be able to boot without an initrd.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Similar Threads
-
By koen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 11:32 AM
-
By fabian_wuertz in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 05:35 PM
-
By Pvanderze in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By redcartlinux9 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 07:33 PM
-
By Canis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99