Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems Speedtouch 330 - KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    Problems Speedtouch 330 - KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN

    Hi,

    I think I am going mad.....

    I have tried just about all the howtos on the internet to get my Alcatel Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem (Speed Touch 330 revision 4) to work with KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN running from CD and have had just about as much luck as I have with women, hehehe.

    My problem is as follows, assuming I use the process outlined in http://christophe.delord.free.fr/en/adsl/debian.html which claims to be compatible with Knoppix 3.3. I follow all the instructions, and finally run the script adsl. The script runs fine until the end without error but gives me:
    Error: the connection doesn't work?

    so I tried doing a bit of homework:

    doing a cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get
    T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=06b9 ProdID=4061 Rev= 4.00
    S: Manufacturer=THOMSON
    S: Product=Speed Touch 330
    S: SerialNumber=0090D0C86BA5
    C:* #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=50ms
    I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=speedtch
    .......

    so knoppix sees my modem.
    Doing a lsmod I get:

    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    n_hdlc 6144 0 (unused)
    speedtch 8720 0 (unused)
    crc32 2816 0 [speedtch]
    atm 34036 0 [speedtch]
    usb-uhci 21836 0 (unused)
    usbcore 57472 1 [speedtch usb-uhci]
    ......

    and all the necessary modules seem to be there.

    As soon as I connect the modem the green leds light continuously, the right one being dimmer. On termination of the above script, if I listen in on the line there is no communication occuring from the modem. Shouldn't the modem synchronize if the microcode has been uploaded???

    In windows all of thos works wonderfully, if only with knoppix.....

    Anyone got any ideas of what my problem could be??? Anyone got this version of knoppix to work with this modem?

    Any help much appreciated.

    Rekkie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I don't know that first thing about your situation however I do know that you can get some Alcatel scripts here:

    http://kano.mipooh.net/

    And you can get a Knoppix based disc which I beleive to have Alcatel support built in here:

    http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=422

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Seems like with revision 4 of the modem, Alcatel have rendered it incompatible with previous versions without telling any of the open source developers....

    Check this out for a Solution
    http://199.231.140.154/speedtouch.php

    Haven't tried it yet, hope it works.....

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Speedtouch 330 (revision 4) problem with knoppix solved.

    Anyone needing to use the above modem can get all that is required for a completely painless experience from:

    Install script:
    http://christophe.delord.free.fr/fr/adsl/adsl
    Drivers:
    http://www.nemohackers.org/speedtouc...ch-rev4.tar.gz
    Microcode (rename to firmware.bin or mgmt.o):
    http://www.nemohackers.org/speedtouch/ZZZLP2.eni

    place all of these in a single directory (/ramdisk/home/knoppix for example), place your username and password in the script, check and modify the VPI/VCI settings (in the script) for your country, and finally run the install script (sh adsl) and voila....

    Happy Surfing....

    Rekkie

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    3
    I have followed a similar line with Knoppix 3.6 and get the same fault, but doing a cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get:

    T: Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=06b9 ProdID=4061 Rev= 2.00
    S: Manufacturer=ALCATEL
    S: Product=Speed Touch 330
    S: SerialNumber=0090D0B37B7B

    indicating a version 2 modem.

    Diagnostics of a working connection under windows shows VPI to be 0. I tried changing the script for that from VPI 8 to 0 to no avail.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    9
    Not sure on getting it to work on linux BUT..

    If you have Bell Sympatico Internet and are in the Ontario or Quebec area and your modem is the Alcatel usb (Blueish Stingray looking)
    Call them up tell them you got an alcatel USB modem and its given you nothing but troubles and you want a newer version with 'USB and ethernet' (the key there is saying you want one with both connections)
    ... they will send you out a newer version Speedstream modem 5242 or 5200 series with built in PPPoE so its just like broadband with rogers...

Similar Threads

  1. Boot from CD, KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN
    By amir in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
  2. no boot.img on KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
    By Christopher in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 12:05 AM
  3. KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN
    By shawngiese in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:19 AM
  4. KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-09 is here
    By probono in forum News
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 11:06 AM
  5. Knoppix_V3.3-2004-02-16
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$56.99



Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00