Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Accessing home PC from work?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    Accessing home PC from work?

    My home office has a cable modem and a router connected to several PCs running KNOPPIX.

    Now, without the router, one PC attached to the cable modem has an IP address of 24.xxx.xxx.xxx returned by ifconfig. However, when the PCs are attached to the router, ifconfig returns IPs like 192.xxx.0.100, 192.xxx.0.101, 192.xxx.0.102, etc.

    Is there a way to login to my home PCs thru the cable modem and router from work? Should I setup ssh at home? Is there a better way?

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    on my d-link i can set a port to be forwarded to a internal IP, that is one of the 192.168...adresses, and from that i can reach all my other computers inside the router.
    that is, i can use ssh (my prefered way), telnet (NOT recomended) , vnc or perhaps tight-vnc (preferably tunneled) to connect to a computer on the inside of my router.

    the above is more of a hint, if you want a detailed description you would have to tell me the make/modell of router. I suspect it is a simpler D-link, Netgear, 3Com...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yup, mine is a D-Link DI-604 and the ips it generates are 192.168.0.100, 192.168.0.101, etc.

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    aaah,ok.
    not used that model. but i have found an online manual.
    according to that there should be a advanced tab and under that to the left a Yellow a button with the text virtuall server.
    if you click that you get a "form" to fill in, something like.
    Code:
    	X Enabled     disabled
    
    Name ssh
    
    Private IP 192.168.0.XXX
    
    Protocol Type tcp
    
    Private Port 22
    
    Public Port 22
    
    Schedule 	Always
    where you replace XXX with the desired IP. if you want several you could likely just take a higher port on the incomming side (say 5000) and let that be translated to port 22 on a different IP.

    By now you should have something working.

    There is the less safe choise of using DMZ. NOT recomended.

    let me know if it works. if not post your config and we shall see if i can help.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I'm to find an advanced tab on what, the router itself? Then the form comes up when, every time I boot up?

    Confused,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    oops, ok, open a browser (mozilla, konqueror, IE...) type in http://192.168.0.1 you should get a "webpage" that will alow you to configure things on your router. it should be on your manuals. if not, ask and i will try answering, just remember i have no such router, just experience with similar devises.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Sorry, I have no manuals for this device I got used off ebay....

    Anyway, I go http://192.168.0.1 and it requires a userid and passwd???

    TIA,
    AJG

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    I myself use a D-Link router (DI-624) and it is the most simplest thing in the world to set up. I am not sure but I think I read that it needs to be set-up with a windows machine, but it is web based so I don't think so.

    I know that you can get the manual from their web site. Read it. It is not that long and it will tell you all that you need to know.

    The only thing you need to learn is how to set up your computer to accept the connection. This is what I myself do not know.

    The only reason I am butting into this conversation is because you need to read the manual. Get it, it will save a lot of typing. Then you can get down to the real problem. Setting up the two computers to allow for what you are looking for.

    BTW, I just bought a D-Link DWL-G520 and am going to set it up in 5 mins.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    according to manual you give admin as login and just hit enter, there is no password as default.
    if that does not work, hmmm.
    There is a hole (2mm ) to the side of the powerplug jst push paperclip in there (do not break anything) hold the button depressed for 10-20 seconds and now you should be able to log in as above (set a nes password aperhaps, none is not a safe option).
    EDIT here is the link where you can download the manual http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...uctid=DI%2D604 /EDIT
    EDIT II IF you RESSET your router ALL settings WILL get lost /EDIT II

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OOPs, I forgot about this thread!

    Anyway, once I set-up the dlink as explained above, how do I know my IP address at home? I use a cable modem, so I suppose I'm on a DHCP LAN from the cable company.

    The IP wouldn't be that 24.... I get from ifconfig when I pull out the router, would it? BTW, I'd rather not pull it out. Is there somewhere I can logon to and it will tell me what my IP is? Oh, got it: http://checkip.dyndns.org/

    OK, so I set up a virtual server using private ip 192.168.0.101 and TCP protocol for http (a web server), but what ports do I set?

    TIA,
    AJG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing "My Documents" folder on WinXP Home with
    By silence in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
  2. Connecting to home linux box from work xp pro
    By nicorellius in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 09:15 PM
  3. Access work PC from home?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:35 PM
  4. Accessing files in HOME directory?
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
  5. Accessing my home dirctory on / partition
    By mr_dellarenta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor

$199.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99