Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How do you change from KDE to Enlightenment?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5

    How do you change from KDE to Enlightenment?

    Hi,
    I've installed all the enlightement files via apt-get. I run update-alternatives --config x-window-manager and choose Enlightenment. I then get an error:
    Using `/usr/bin/enlightenment' to provide `x-window-manager'.
    update-alternatives: unable to make /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /usr/bin/enlightenment: Permission denied
    I run it as root and it works - yet startx as root still doesn't give me Enlightenment.
    I know I'm doing something basic wrong - back in the old days I had to edit .xinitrc and so on. Is this the case for knoppix?
    Thanks
    Angie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Odd, I'm using Enlightenment myself. I never had to do the update-alternatives thing. Basically, what I did was apt-get install everything Enlightnement needed, and then logged out, then choose enlightenment instead of kde and login, that's it. Nothing else is needed but as for making it the default, I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm not worried about it at this point as it works, period.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    20
    Different GUI I am guessing? I wonder what it looks like. Links please?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5
    It looks incredible - go to www.enlightenment.org.
    Durand, I installed the same way - by logging out and selecting enlightenment - what do you mean by that? I normally just type startx. Is that my error?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    I'm not sure what login screen you're using, but I'm using the kdm login screen. There are a list of window managers to choose from besides kde, like icewm, twwm, fluxbox, blackbox, etc. Enlightenment is also listed in there and you basically scroll down to enlightenment, enter your password for your account and then enter. That's all there is to it, no muss no fuss.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Also, I'm wondering why you would need to type startx? Once you're in enlightenment, you should see a greenish background (brushed metal theme, I think) and there is an iconbox in the lower right-hand corner, and your standard virtual desktops in the lower left-hand corner. If you don't see this, you're missing some other items related to enlightenment. To get the complete list, this is what I did:
    Open a terminal window, and type su + password.
    Type apt-cache search enlightenment >enlightenment.txt (this outputs a list of packages you need for enlightenment).
    Apt-get install most of the packages in the list. Some you don't need, like the wmbutton stuff. Some will suggest additional packages not covered in the list, so watch out for those. The one other package I recommend you don't install is eeyes. It's huge, and it would take out half of kde to install it, but it's your decision.
    Exit the terminal
    Log out
    At the login screen, enter your password for your account and scroll down to enlightenment in the list of window managers.
    Press enter and you're in enlightenment.
    Now wasn't that easy as pie?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Durand, that solved the problem. I used the KDM login manager and hey presto - I could choose enlightenment

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Glad to hear that you got it going! Enjoy!

Similar Threads

  1. How to make default X enlightenment ????
    By Javier Belanche in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 10:40 PM
  2. enlightenment en others...
    By yohanman in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 12:19 PM
  3. enlightenment
    By yohanman in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 07:01 AM
  4. enlightenment
    By yohanman in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 06:46 AM
  5. Change LC_MESSAGES variable and change user name name
    By Guest in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



Commodore Amiga 1010 3.5

Commodore Amiga 1010 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive 880K WORKS GREAT

$179.00



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$895.00



ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5

ALS Storage Box with Assorted Amiga Format 3.5" Floppy Disks

$199.00



OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT picture

OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT

$329.95