Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Baffled By lilo

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12

    Baffled By lilo

    I just attempted, against my better judgement, to install kernel image 2.6.3-1-k7 via apt-get. After configuring /etc/lilo.conf (to the best of my limitted ability) and running lilo -v, I rebooted my computer. My computer boots first through the NT Loader (with Linux as a choice), then through lilo on the root partition of /dev/hdb. When the lilo menu came up, the menu item that I'd just included in /etc/lilo.conf was no where to be seen. I can still boot with my original vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs kernel. However, no matter how I configure /etc/lilo.conf or how many times I run lilo or lilo -v, no other choice shows up in the lilo menu.

    There is a curious entry in my /etc/lilo.conf file "install= /boot/boot-menu.b" I don't know if this is significant or not, but there is no /boot/boot-menu.b file. I changed this entry to "install=/boot/menu" with no affect.

    TRS@GNUbox:/boot$ ls -a
    .
    ..
    System.map
    System.map-2.4.24-xfs
    System.map-2.6.3-1-k7
    boot.0200
    boot.0300
    boot.0345
    boot.0345.old
    boothelp.txt
    config-2.4.24-xfs
    config-2.6.3-1-k7
    debian.bmp
    debianlilo.bmp
    grub
    initrd.gz
    initrd.img
    initrd.img-2.6.3-1-k7
    knoppix-old-mbr.1077746836
    map
    sarge.bmp
    sid.bmp
    vmlinuz
    vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    vmlinuz-2.6.3-1-k7
    vmlinuz.old
    This is a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf file, with the superflous comments edited out.

    vga=791

    lba32

    boot=/dev/hdb5

    root=/dev/hdb5

    compact

    install= /boot/boot-menu.b

    map=/boot/map

    delay=0

    # message=/boot/bootmess.txt
    prompt
    timeout=1
    # prompt
    # single-key
    # delay=100
    # timeout=100

    # append=""
    append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    # Boot up Linux by default.
    #
    default=Linux

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs
    label=Linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    read-only
    # restricted
    # alias=1

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-1-k7
    label=Linux2.6
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.3-1-k7
    read-only


    # image=/vmlinuz.old
    # label=LinuxOLD
    # read-only
    # optional
    # restricted
    # alias=3

    # other=/dev/hda4
    # label=HURD
    # restricted
    # alias=3
    If anyone has any ideas as to why the lilo menu doesn't reflect what's in lilo-conf, I'd appreciated hearing them. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Since your first stage boot loader is the NT one, you need to copy your linux boot sector to your windows partition every time you re-run lilo. eg "dd if=/dev/hdb5 of=/mnt/hda1/linux.bs count=1", assuming hda1 is a writable windows partiton (vfat or ntfs with capture), and that linux.bs is the file to which you refer to in c:\boot.ini...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    Since your first stage boot loader is the NT one, you need to copy your linux boot sector to your windows partition every time you re-run lilo. eg "dd if=/dev/hdb5 of=/mnt/hda1/linux.bs count=1", assuming hda1 is a writable windows partiton (vfat or ntfs with capture), and that linux.bs is the file to which you refer to in c:\boot.ini...
    Thanks for the info. By the time that I'd read this, I had already horribly screwed up my Linux installation. I ended up reinstalling knoppix on the hard drive. I'm about to get new desk-top. So, I'm going to wait until then before I attempt to upgrade the kernel on this one.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    use bootpart

    Try using bootpart, you won't have to copy the lilo boot code each time. Bootpart creates an image which is keyed to a particular partition, when run it loads and executes the boot code for that partition. Bootpart also adds itself to boot.ini automatically, and can tell you what partition is what.

    http://winimage.com/bootpart.htm

    I use it - or did, that is - WinXP died on my computer... it absolutely refuses to install again, though Debian will work fine... So yes, even more proof that, like MS says, Linux is too much of a pain in the @$$!

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  2. Totally baffled with compressed Knoppix and ISO Knoppix
    By Ewen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:15 PM
  3. Fix lilo
    By peeb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 07:11 AM
  4. Fix LILO?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
  5. lilo and mbr
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989  Untested  picture

Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989 Untested

$207.92



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Microsoft Multimedia PS/2 Wired Computer Keyboard  KB-0168 Black Tested picture

Vintage Microsoft Multimedia PS/2 Wired Computer Keyboard KB-0168 Black Tested

$26.95



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00