Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boot failed. Need help.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    Boot failed. Need help.

    I get this after pressing [enter],

    >Loading vmlinuz........
    >Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.

    I've already tried everything possible and still cannot get into knoppix.
    For infomation on my PC.

    Acer Aspire Pentium 4 1.7 ghz
    768 MB RAM
    Aopen External CD Burner
    Nero 5 (OEM)

    I've already checked the .iso md5 and it turn out Ok using md5summer.
    Need some advice and help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14
    I've had that same problem. I assume you're booting from a floppy first instead of directly from the CD? As near as I can figure, it's something wrong with the floppy. I fixed it once (just kept rewriting the floppy image onto the disk until I got one that worked) but it broke again. You could try that, I suppose... I'm not sure of any long-term fixes, though...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    Wow, I'm having a similar problem. I have not been able to create a boot disk - it refuses to load, "boot failed." So far I've tried: (On Windows) the mkfloppy.bat script on Knoppic CD; rawrite, rawrite2, and rawritewin; and (on RedHat) using dd to move boot image to /dev/fd0. It just seems like everything returns an error, all pointing to bad media, but I've gone through a stack of floppies, and in the meantime I had no trouble creating RedHat boot floppies.

    Anyway, that's my experience for what it's worth.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14
    I think part of the problem might be an error on the Knoppix version. I finally pulled out an old 3.3 CD and made a boot from that - that one works every time. The newer 3.3 floppy image might have an error in it somewhere...? I'm only guessing.
    Another thing you might want to check would be to clean your floppy drive. You can buy disks at the store that do this specially. (Or you can do what I do, pop in a normal blank floppy, pull it out again, and check for dust. ) A friend recommended this - if dust gets on it when reading/writing, it probably won't work right.
    Other than that, I'm not really sure what the problem might be. You might just want to wait for 3.4 to come out (I think it's about a week from now or so?) and try making a floppy disk from that one...

Similar Threads

  1. I burned the ISO to CD,when boot from the CD ,but failed?
    By normalnotebook in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 12:45 AM
  2. failed boot cloop error-3
    By BlkBear in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 09:44 PM
  3. failed boot
    By ibm...imsorry in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 03:12 AM
  4. boot from floppy failed with Custom Kernel
    By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
  5. Boot failed
    By Laz in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99