Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New user help! Screen resolution?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10

    New user help! Screen resolution?

    Hey! I'm new to Knoppix and linux, and I've used it only a handful of times. But I must say, I'm very impressed with it's hardware detection! I'm suprised at how well it runs on my HP laptop too! But I do have a problem with the resolution on my desktop... (go figure, it works flawlessly on the laptop, but not my desktop). For some reason the bottom portion of the screen isn't visable at all, and I cannot see the bar. I'm using a TFT screen, and it normally runs at 1024x768 max. I tried "Knoppix screen=1024x768" at the boot options, but nothing changes. I even tried 800x600 resolution, but nothing changes at all... Am I missing something here? I have a nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 card. And a ViewSonic ViewPanel VG150. It's weird how the screen is a perfect fit sideways, but it's just too long in length and runs off the monitor.

    Also, while I'm posting... I'm just curious about how different Knoppix is from Debian. If someone wanted to use Debian, would using a HD based install of Knoppix be about equivalent? (minus the absence of some packages) I ask cause I was thinking about downloading Debian, but I already have knoppix downloaded, and so far I love how it runs. And I mean, I'm on 56k, so I'd be happy to not have to download more ISO's lol.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Try "fb1024x768" at boot prompt (not "knoppix fb1024x768").

    Try "knoppix screen=1024x768 noddc" at boot prompt.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, knixkw! "knoppix screen=1024x768 noddc" worked like a charm! Just out of curiosity, what is ddc? And why did disabling it fix it? Just wanted to know since I plan on doing a HD install very soon, and want to have an understanding of how to fix it. Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Hello Matrox462,

    thanks for the good news.

    noddc skips the hardware detection of Your monitor. It's only useful for TFT monitors, because knoppix uses standard refresh rates with noddc (60Hz).

    ddc means "Display Data Channel". This is the VESA plug and play standard for monitors.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks again, knixkw, for the great explanation :P

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: New user help! Screen resolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matrox462
    I'm just curious about how different Knoppix is from Debian. If someone wanted to use Debian, would using a HD based install of Knoppix be about equivalent? (minus the absence of some packages) I ask cause I was thinking about downloading Debian, but I already have knoppix downloaded, and so far I love how it runs. And I mean, I'm on 56k, so I'd be happy to not have to download more ISOs.
    Knoppix is a mix of the testing and unstable releases of Debian. This is not a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned; it's been working great on my machine since July--as my main OS. I'm sure looking forward to the next release in a week or so!

    Maybe you could take your machine over to a friend's house with broadband and upgrade and install new packages that way.

Similar Threads

  1. How to set screen resolution?
    By Islington in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
  2. Can't get the right screen resolution
    By Darcian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
  3. Screen resolution
    By Matth in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 08:33 PM
  4. Screen resolution
    By Buck1 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
  5. Screen resolution
    By sanjay in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99