Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can't pull an IP address via DHCP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Can't pull an IP address via DHCP

    ...and a manual config seems to be an equal crapshoot.

    So Windows is all FUBAR'd on my roommate's laptop and won't boot, but booting to Knoppix I can get to his hard drive and all his documents are still there. He has ~15 GB of data he would like to pull off and save, so burning CDs is not a desirable option. This leaves ethernet. I'm short on a crossover cable, so I borrowed my friend's D-Link router. I connect my Mac to it and it DHCPs to give me 192.168.0.100. It shows 192.168.0.1 as the gateway. Cool.

    So I go to connect my roommate's laptop running Knoppix, and I can't get an IP for the life of me. I run the netcardconfig for both DHCP and manual settings, but I can't get any sort of a connection. I've tried setting things up manually with ifup/ifdown and ifconfig, still no dice. I've tried booting knoppix with the noapic option as well, but that didn't help.

    I'm lost at this point. My roommate's laptop won't even DHCP to our university network under Knoppix. I'm a Mac guy, so maybe I'm missing something on the Linux side, but I've read all the documentation I can find and I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Here's a few things to check:

    Does knoppix recognize your laptops nic? In a root shell type lspci -v and look for the card's entry.

    Is the driver for the card loaded: In the root shell type lsmod and look for the cards driver.

    You might also try powering down and restarting the router, sometimes switching things in and out confuses them.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can't pull an IP address via DHCP

    Quote Originally Posted by bertocci
    ... My roommate's laptop won't even DHCP
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong, many machines, only after running Windows and installing "security updates" suddenly have a problem running Knoppix. Read these two threads for more details: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117 and : http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

    The threads will also give you some ideas on commands and/or cheat codes that you can use to work around this. Please post back if you have sucess.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2
    Harry, you are my hero. The laptop is also an HP (ze5170), and it seems to have either the same card or one from the same line. Running "mii-tool -r" fix worked like a charm. Thanks a ton.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by bertocci
    Harry, you are my hero. The laptop is also an HP (ze5170), and it seems to have either the same card or one from the same line. Running "mii-tool -r" fix worked like a charm. Thanks a ton.
    You're welcome. The irony of this is that your roommate very likely could have run Knoppix fine on this laptop without jumping through any hoops, like I did, before installing the Microsoft "Security Updates". What I'm having trouble understanding is why I seem to be one of the few people upset by this apparent attack on Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
  2. network card boot-up problem, doesn't get dhcp address
    By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
  3. Cannot login! Fresh install ~ About to pull hair out!
    By albob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
  4. Program to pull Images off a Canon Powershot A75 (usb) ?
    By OtterToast in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 04:59 AM
  5. 'Knoppix' option in KDE pull up menu gone missing...
    By timmoore47 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 800 Home Computer Later Variant In Original Styro W/ BASIC CLEAN Untested picture

Atari 800 Home Computer Later Variant In Original Styro W/ BASIC CLEAN Untested

$249.99



Atari 850 Interface Module Vintage 8-Bit Computer Expansion Serial Parallel Box picture

Atari 850 Interface Module Vintage 8-Bit Computer Expansion Serial Parallel Box

$159.95



Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD picture

Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD

$49.97



Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO In Box picture

Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive Tested With All Cables Power And Data SIO In Box

$200.00



Atari 800 XL 8-Bit Computer W/ Blue LED And S Video A/V Cable  picture

Atari 800 XL 8-Bit Computer W/ Blue LED And S Video A/V Cable

$155.00



ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED picture

ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED

$250.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 1030 Modem, Adapter, 13-Pin S10 I/O Data Cables, Manual (attached). picture

Atari 1030 Modem, Adapter, 13-Pin S10 I/O Data Cables, Manual (attached).

$95.50



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75