Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: few ideas

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    few ideas

    first knoppix seems to have a apache among other things, I can't understand why.
    I'd really like to see only kde installed, get rid of the rest of the guis.
    A more streamlined version of knoppix would be great one that would fit on those small 180mb CDs.
    I was rather impressed with the knoppix lite, but I'd like to see kmail, yahoo messenger, xchat, mozilla installed among others installed. (openoffice if it would fit) I do think that there was gaim on there but if not.... I can't remember as well, if there was the option to save the configuration on a knoppix floppy.

    I'd like to see a few less options on the kmenu, it seems so cluttered. There are no need for games!!!!

    I would like to see some more konsole tools; like pico/pine, bitchx, a newsgroup program, as well as parted and perhaps a backup/restore tool for the MBR


    and there should be a password for the root user even if it's just knoppix, or perhaps the fine gentleman's first name who created knoppix, sorry can't remember his name offhand. that would be something you can remember, but something most users (if it were to be hacked) would not.... and we would not get the errors that are caused by not having them in place. (Ps. I know sudo passwd works but I don't want to keep using it everytime)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    43

    Re: few ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by freeballer
    first knoppix seems to have a apache among other things, I can't understand why.
    If apache is present, I can't find it. I see thttpd, which is much smaller and less of a drain, and still provides quality service.

    Quote Originally Posted by freeballer
    and there should be a password for the root user even if it's just knoppix, or perhaps the fine gentleman's first name who created knoppix, sorry can't remember his name offhand. that would be something you can remember, but something most users (if it were to be hacked) would not.... and we would not get the errors that are caused by not having them in place. (Ps. I know sudo passwd works but I don't want to keep using it everytime)
    Please, I LIKE the knoppix way of doing it. No way to get hacked on a unmodified system. It's relatively trivial to copy in a version of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow on boot using a knoppix.sh script at boot time - a version of passwd and shadow that has the passwords you want already set.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting new ideas back into Knoppix
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
  2. Some fresh ideas
    By vlader2004 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
  3. Samba ne ideas how to this??
    By pinku in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 09:52 AM
  4. some ideas for knoppix
    By cloeser in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 10:50 AM
  5. Some new ideas!
    By Sanja in forum Ideas
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards picture

4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards

$595.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



1997 Apple MacAdvocate CD-ROM NEW SEALED Unopened Vintage Macintosh L02177A picture

1997 Apple MacAdvocate CD-ROM NEW SEALED Unopened Vintage Macintosh L02177A

$19.99



Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Lot of 3 Vintage IDE PATA Optical Drives CD-ROM CD-RW DVD-RW Windows 98 XP Untes picture

Lot of 3 Vintage IDE PATA Optical Drives CD-ROM CD-RW DVD-RW Windows 98 XP Untes

$39.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6 picture

NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6

$94.98