-
few ideas
first knoppix seems to have a apache among other things, I can't understand why.
I'd really like to see only kde installed, get rid of the rest of the guis.
A more streamlined version of knoppix would be great one that would fit on those small 180mb CDs.
I was rather impressed with the knoppix lite, but I'd like to see kmail, yahoo messenger, xchat, mozilla installed among others installed. (openoffice if it would fit) I do think that there was gaim on there but if not.... I can't remember as well, if there was the option to save the configuration on a knoppix floppy.
I'd like to see a few less options on the kmenu, it seems so cluttered. There are no need for games!!!!
I would like to see some more konsole tools; like pico/pine, bitchx, a newsgroup program, as well as parted and perhaps a backup/restore tool for the MBR
and there should be a password for the root user even if it's just knoppix, or perhaps the fine gentleman's first name who created knoppix, sorry can't remember his name offhand. that would be something you can remember, but something most users (if it were to be hacked) would not.... and we would not get the errors that are caused by not having them in place. (Ps. I know sudo passwd works but I don't want to keep using it everytime)
-
Re: few ideas

Originally Posted by
freeballer
first knoppix seems to have a apache among other things, I can't understand why.
If apache is present, I can't find it. I see thttpd, which is much smaller and less of a drain, and still provides quality service.

Originally Posted by
freeballer
and there should be a password for the root user even if it's just knoppix, or perhaps the fine gentleman's first name who created knoppix, sorry can't remember his name offhand. that would be something you can remember, but something most users (if it were to be hacked) would not.... and we would not get the errors that are caused by not having them in place. (Ps. I know sudo passwd works but I don't want to keep using it everytime)
Please, I LIKE the knoppix way of doing it. No way to get hacked on a unmodified system. It's relatively trivial to copy in a version of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow on boot using a knoppix.sh script at boot time - a version of passwd and shadow that has the passwords you want already set.
Similar Threads
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum Ideas
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
-
By vlader2004 in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
-
By pinku in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-07-2004, 09:52 AM
-
By cloeser in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 10:50 AM
-
Replies: 26
Last Post: 01-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD
$84.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99