Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: HDD install problem - Error 0x07 using LILO from boot disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    HDD install problem - Error 0x07 using LILO from boot disk

    I am trying to do a knoppix hd install on an xp machine. I put in
    a 2'nd hard drive so I could keep xp on its own disk. I formatted
    the new drive as follows using cfdisk:

    primary partition: 50 MB
    logical: 3000MB
    logical: 500MB
    logical: 1000MB


    I then did the knoppix install choosing to install lilo to partition instead
    of master boot record. I created the boot disk. Rebooted computer
    and when I select linux, or linux on hdb (i have 2 options for linux boot
    on the menu - I assume they do the same thing) I get the following:

    boot: Linux
    Loading Linux
    Error 0x07

    Windows still boots ok with and without the boot disk.

    Any help would be appreciated. I can cd to those directories on the
    2'nd hard drive when I boot knoppix from the cd and it looks like
    things were setup ok.

    Brian

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Please post your /etc/lilo.conf

    BTW, if you put Lilo on the Linux drive, don't you have to tell the bios to boot from that drive?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    I will have to wait until I get home to get the lilo.conf data.
    I guess I was thinking if I am booting from the floppy I don't
    have to tell the bios to boot from the hard drive - I thought that
    was what the bootable floppy was for.

    I do have one question - does the parition in which knoppix is
    installed in have to be marked as bootable? I was thinking it
    didn't if I was using the bootable floppy.

    I did make one of the paritions on the 2'nd hard drive (where knoppix
    is installed) bootable but there is nothing there currently - knoppix
    was installed in the other partition.

    Thanks for any info

    Brian

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Found the problem. I didn't realize this was really a lilo question.
    Problem was new hard drive. Needed to turn on in bios. Thought
    this was automagic since when I booted into windows (before
    reformatting the drive) the drive showed up. :P

Similar Threads

  1. Disk Error on Boot
    By segway in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 04:24 PM
  2. HD install, LILO to GRUB conversion, boot error message.
    By ocean in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
  3. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  4. Need to reinstall lilo - don't have boot-disk...
    By Sebastian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 05:06 PM
  5. Can I use Lilo to boot knoppix from hard disk ??
    By fm78 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 09:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99