-
Linux Newbie Getting Close But Not Quite There
Hello Everyone,
I know you have heard this a million times but here it goes again.
I have a laptop running XP that crashed. Trying to get the data off using Knoppix. I am able to boot into Knoppix fine. The drive is running NTFS so I have to mount the hard drive from the shell using the following command:
mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
It appears to mount fine. I am able to cd into /mnt/hda1 and run a ls command and see the entire file system. So the drive appears to be mounted fine.
However, when I leave the shell program and try to access hda1 from the desktop I get the following message:
Could not enter directory /mnt/hda1
So it looks like the drive is mounted fine but I can not access it from the GUI. I have searched all over the forums and it looks like this could be a simple permissions issue in that when I am in the shell command I am running as su and when I am in the GUI I am running as the generic Knoppix user.
I am so close I am sure I am just missing something simple. I guess I could copy data out of the shell to the floppy drive. But I would really like file access from the GUI so I can burn a CD to back up all the data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks In Advance,
[email protected]
Similar Threads
-
By dugtrio85 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
-
By djtwok in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
-
By mldaalder in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-15-2003, 10:26 PM
-
By ThePatrioticDickhead in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2003, 09:04 PM
-
By ihatemyusername in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01