What happens if you boot with the failsafe option?
Is it able to boot fully?
'knoppix failsafe'
I get to the first screen and then no matter what I do, it fails at "searching for CD of /dev/scd0" (or words to that effect).
Anyone got any idea why this might be happening?
What happens if you boot with the failsafe option?
Is it able to boot fully?
'knoppix failsafe'
Yup. I've tried that and also the no<whatever> options (all of them) to no effect.
The cursor flashes a few times next to the text and then freezes. The keyboard stop reacting around this time (i.e. I can't turn the Num-Lock on or off).
Is there a way of producing verbose screen output so I can tell at what point it's hanging?
You can try: 'knoppix 2' and see if you can sucessfully boot into text only mode.
If you can successfully do this, then type 'dmesg |more'
You can read through this and see if you see any error messages.
My suspicion however is that you have a bad .iso image.
You can try downloading the md5 file to check out the file size.
You may need to download a new iso (sigh).
I had the same problem with my first knoppix CD on some machines and not others. Based off a post that I found through google, I reburned the CD at a slower speed (8X instead of the CD-R's max capability of 40X). It fixed the problem when working with some CD-ROM drives.

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730
$55.00
Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)
$22.00
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00
Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99
Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570
$389.00