Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Updating local pc clock from a atomic clock site???

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46
    As root, I changed the time zone with tzconfig to PST.
    But the change cannot be saved because KNOPPIX tells
    me that /etc/timezone is on the READ-ONLY filesystem.

    As long as my system is running my time zone stays at PST.
    But after a reboot, it goes back to the CET time zone.
    (And I have to update the time zone again.)

    How do I make the PST time zone permanent?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Since you are running from the live-cd, you can do this:

    ' la /etc/timezone ' == List it

    ' cd /etc '
    ' rm timezone ' == Remove symlink
    ' cp /KNOPPIX/etc/timezone . ' == Copy original file over

    ' tzconfig ' == Change timezone

    --I haven't tested it with persistent home, but it *should* keep the changes if you update your saved-config.

    Quote Originally Posted by lothario
    As root, I changed the time zone with tzconfig to PST.
    But the change cannot be saved because KNOPPIX tells
    me that /etc/timezone is on the READ-ONLY filesystem.

    As long as my system is running my time zone stays at PST.
    But after a reboot, it goes back to the CET time zone.
    (And I have to update the time zone again.)

    How do I make the PST time zone permanent?

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Since you are running from the live-cd, you can do this:

    ' la /etc/timezone ' == List it
    ' cd /etc '
    ' rm timezone ' == Remove symlink
    ' cp /KNOPPIX/etc/timezone . ' == Copy original file over
    ' tzconfig ' == Change timezone

    --I haven't tested it with persistent home, but it *should* keep the changes if you update your saved-config.
    That does change /etc/timezone and preserve it across reboots, but it doesn't seem to effect anything. I performed the change above, did a save-config, rebooted, and here's what I get:

    root@0[knoppix]# cat /etc/timezone
    US/Central
    root@0[knoppix]# /usr/sbin/tzconfig
    Your current time zone is set to US/Central
    Do you want to change that? [n]: n
    Your time zone will not be changed
    root@0[knoppix]# date
    Thu Apr 1 18:51:12 EST 2004

    Notice that 'date' is still displaying EST (so does 'ls', the desktop clock, and everything else I've tried).

    Since changing /etc/timezone doesn't seem to change the timezone, what does?

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46
    I agree with grante.
    I experienced the same thing.

    I have the same question:
    Since changing /etc/timezone doesn't seem to change the timezone, what does?

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have a look at the symlink /etc/localtime and see where it points to. If it's incorrect delete it and make a new one with:
    ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/whereeveryouare /etc/localtime

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Also have a look at /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh ; you might try running it again as root after updating the time, altho I haven't tested this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Have a look at the symlink /etc/localtime and see where it points to. If it's incorrect delete it and make a new one with:
    ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/whereeveryouare /etc/localtime

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. clock problems with 3.4 HD install
    By riechert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 07:43 PM
  2. clock problems with 3.4 HD install
    By riechert in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 06:41 AM
  3. clock problems
    By evirus in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 10:46 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.3-2004.02.09 and clock setting
    By lmd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 12:18 AM
  5. Clock Time
    By LordHarshmage in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP picture

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP

$139.00



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX3300-24T EX Series 24-Port Gigabit 4-Port SFP+ Switch

$79.99