--First of all, you should run ' /usr/sbin/tzconfig ' and set your local timezone.

--The ONLY person who should be updating the machine's clock, is ROOT. Don't give out sudo permissions to just anyone - restrict it to maybe 1-2 other people at the most.

--Here is a copy of the script I use; you should be OK with running the script about once a month. Unless your CMOS battery is dying or something, you really --don't-- need to sync the time all that often.

BEGIN /root/bin/timesync
Code:
#!/bin/sh

date
ntpdate -s pool.ntp.org
date

#ntp1.linuxmedialabs.com
# pool.ntp.org
# ntp1.tummy.com - CO
# louie.udel.edu - DElwr
# ntp.shorty.com - GA

# inetd's timeserver is port 37; use ' rdate p233 '
--Once you have your "master server's" time set, you can edit its /etc/inetd.conf and uncomment the following lines:

Code:
daytime         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
daytime         dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
time            stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
time            dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
--Then, if you need to, ' /etc/init.d/inetd start ' on the server as root. This should shed some light on the comment at the end of the above script; if you have inetd running with those services, you can go to another computer on the network (running Linux of course) and just ' rdate insert-name-of-internet-connected-box-here '. You may have to ' apt-get install rdate ' on the client(s); I forget if it comes on the live-cd.

--The nice thing about this is that only the master server needs to be updated via ntp; the other clients can then set their time from it using rdate.

--However, I wouldn't leave inetd running unless you have to; it opens up ports. I only start it when I need it, personally.

--Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
Markus,

Sorry to say, nope, dial-up connection only - so the auto-start on boot time adjust isn't going to work...

So, the querry still stands, how and where do I place a shell script that can be accessed by any user. Permissions have already been set for all my users to run the script, and sudo has been enabled on these users as well...

Cuddles