Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: help Initializing DMA for faster DVD playback

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    17

    help Initializing DMA for faster DVD playback

    I found on http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing

    how to turn on the DMA so that the DVD could playback faster.
    it works incredibly pretty smooth.

    However I dont want to have to type in

    /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    as root every time I want to watch a DVD.

    the article mentions putting the command into a startup

    /etc/initab

    ....I don't have /etc/initab on my system

    Can someone walk me through the steps.

    1. Exactly which start up script should I put this command into

    2. What command should I put in? ( the article says to use /sbin/hdparm -d 1
    but that doesn't seem right, wouldnt using /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
    in the script be correct?

    please help.
    Luis

    PS Ive found this forum to be definitly one of the better ones for help. Keep up the great work!!![/b]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm really sorry. I wrote the dvd howto and I made a spelling error. You should make the additions not to /etc/initab but to /etc/inittab.

    I've fixed the howto. Hopefully this should work. Thanks for finding the mistake!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    17
    Thank you for the update,

    what about the actual command?

    should it be

    /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    or

    /sbin/hdparm -d 1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    It should be the first one:

    /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    When you reboot use /sbin/hdparm -d /dev/hdc to check make sure it enabled dma.

    This should work. Please post back results.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    17
    Nope it didnt work

    here are the first lines of my /etc/inittab
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    # /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
    # $Id: inittab,v 1.9 2001/05/31 10:37:50 knopper Exp $

    # The default runlevel.
    id:5:initdefault:

    /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
    # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
    si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Also on boot up I notice there is a message saying something that
    line 7 in etc/inittab is too long only 4 characters are allowed.

    Line 7 is the /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc command.

    After I logged in I did /sbin/hdparm -d /dev/hdc

    here are the results

    luis@Sphinux:~$ /sbin/hdparm -d /dev/hdc

    /dev/hdc:
    using_dma = 0 (off)


    but if I type in the command in root it makes the changes

    any other ideas?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    17
    I found this on a page about debian on thinkpads

    In order to get decent playback performance out of the DVD drive, I ran: hdparm -d 1
    /dev/hdc and also put this in a startup script:

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # dmadvd - enable dma transfer on cd/dvd
    #
    # 2002-12-30,jtk

    case $1 in

    start)
    echo "Enabling DMA on CD/DVD drive..."
    hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
    ;;

    stop)
    echo "Disabling DMA on CD/DVD drive..."
    hdparm -d 0 /dev/hdc
    ;;

    *)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;

    esac
    exit 0


    any idea which startup script I should put this into?
    luis

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I take it you're running a hd install. Save the DVD startup script in /etc/init.d as DVD.sh (or ???) then chmod it executable, then make a startup link in rc5.d to the DVD script in /etc/init.d:

    ln -s /etc/init.d/DVD.sh /etc/rc5.d/S99DVD

    then the DVD hdparm script will be loaded when you start in runlevel 5 near the end of the startup.

    (Make sure to use the proper device, that your DVD is /dev/hdc)

    HTH

    rock

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The settings for turning on DMA are at the bottom of the /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh script at least on my system just uncomment the line for the DVD device or add a new one if is not there. BTW the proper syntax is hdparm -d1 no space between.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    17
    Thank you so much,

    your suggestion about /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh worked perfectly!!!

    dma is autoloaded now.

    thanks again
    Luis

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanks for the feedback. I've changed the howto and given /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh as an example of where to enable dma for one's dvd.

Similar Threads

  1. DVD playback with Knoppix
    By Honkeychops in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 05:04 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 Freezes during initializing peripherals
    By Aldago in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 07:11 PM
  3. DVD playback howto
    By mzilikazi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Poor DVD Playback
    By javahyper7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 03:52 AM
  5. Initializing periferals halt...
    By Myth in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 04:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99