-
How do I start FTPd?
I can't ftp into my knoppix box but can SSH in.
Obviously because ftpd is a different service.
HOW do I activate the ftpd service, and, additionally how can I make it activate on startup?
I've searched the forum finding several people looking on how to start an ftp server, and some people give very odd instructions that end up not helping at all....
I've deleted my /etc/hosts.deny list.... but I still CANNOT access my box via ftp:// on windows....
I'd really appriciate if someone could help me through this (without) giving me bad instructions.
I'm using Knoppix 3.3 for your information.
PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well unless something has changed the Docs provide instructions for FTP
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqFTP
-
root@linux:/home# passwd knoppix <PASSWORD OBSCURED>
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.deny'? u
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.deny'? y
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.allow
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.allow'? y
root@linux:/home# /etc/init.d/inetd restart
Restarting internet superserver: inetd.
root@linux:/home# ftp localhost
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>
Seems like the instructions did not work, is this my fault or the guy who programs knoppix made a bug in the system?
Please help me resolve this.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Is it me, considering I am a ftp noob here, but wouldn't a "connection refused" from one computer to the other computer, signify the problem is on the "other" computer???
Source = connect
Target = connection refused
Am I wrong here?
Also, Jon, do you have a firewall running? When I neded to get a ftp out of my machine to a remote, my firewall needed to be openned up on both local and internet to accept ftp. In my case, not having the "internet" side set for ftp, gave me "permission denied" messages.
Just curious,
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
sshd is so easy to setup and use. Why not try sftp?
Regards,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Jon_K
root@linux:/home# passwd knoppix <PASSWORD OBSCURED>
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.deny'? u
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.deny'? y
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.allow
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.allow'? y
root@linux:/home# /etc/init.d/inetd restart
Restarting internet superserver: inetd.
root@linux:/home# ftp localhost
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>
Seems like the instructions did not work, is this my fault or the guy who programs knoppix made a bug in the system?
Please help me resolve this.
Is ftpd even runing?
ps aux|grep ftp
-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
sshd is so easy to setup and use. Why not try sftp?
I have been! It is really nice, but I will be having people connecting to the box that won't have winSCP.

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Is ftpd even runing?
ps aux|grep ftp
root@linux:/# ps aux|grep ftp
teamspe 14020 0.0 0.1 2760 972 ? SN 21:38 0:00 /usr/lib/sftp-server
root 14698 0.0 0.0 1536 452 pts/1 SN 23:26 0:00 grep ftp
root@linux:/#
Is this right? Help me here rickenbacherus, i appriciate your help
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Is ftpd even runing?
ps aux|grep ftp
If inetd has been configured to start it ftpd shouldn't be running (except when someone is connected)
-

Originally Posted by
windos_no_thanks
If inetd has been configured to start it ftpd shouldn't be running (except when someone is connected)
So can you help windos?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Jon_K

Originally Posted by
windos_no_thanks
If inetd has been configured to start it ftpd shouldn't be running (except when someone is connected)
So can you help windos?

Well, do you have a line beginning with "ftp " in /etc/inetd.conf ?
(by default I think it has a "#" in front of it which has to be removed if you want ftpd to be started by inetd)
Similar Threads
-
By Zerro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
-
By bibear in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2004, 06:38 PM
-
By ck_lee in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
-
By Rhymer in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM
-
By timmd in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$250.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00