-
Senior Member
registered user
Mozilla, Knoppix or My Machine
Hi;
I recently timed startups( on a *cold* boot ) for Mozilla 1.6 and
Firefox 0.8 on my system:
Mozilla : 18 seconds
Firefox: 10 seconds.
I am running:
- A P4 2.53 gigahertz processor
- 533 mhz front side bus
- 512 DDR Ram /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdc
- a 10 gig partition ( of a 40 gig hard drive ) with:
- hd installed knoppix( debian ), mix of test, & unstable
- icewm
- a dmae enabled system.
- /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh has this line of code in it at the
bottom
/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdc
- knoppix with icewm
So, my question is, given all of this information are my *cold* boot
startup times for the Mozilla browsers normal? Should I be getting
faster startup times?
Thanks in advance
-
Senior Member
registered user
You'd expect Firefox to be faster than Mozilla. Other than that, it's going to depend on a great many other things: what other services you're running (yep, there will be a lot of them running from a cold boot), your X set up and on and on.
You don't say how you're starting Mozilla, but FWIW, with an uptime of 4 days, starting from the taskbar until the home page loads, running the stock Debian Moz 1.5, takes approx 11 seconds.
System
Athlon 2.0 XP
1/2 gig pc2700 RAM
1/2 gig swap
-
Hi,
My start times for Firebird 0.7 is 11 seconds using the Taskbar icon, homepage load time, well depends on dialup connection.......
Athlon 1000
512meg pc133 ram
1gig swap
How long does it take you to boot to login promt from a complete shut down. I ask because I keep reading that Linux starts up faster than Windows, but mine takes longer. It take around 4.5-5 minutes to get to the login promt and then about 1 minute after that to get to desktop.
Sorry if I do not make sense, Linux/Knoppix is very new to me, have tried just about all the major disto's with very little luck. Knoppix was a dream to use and install, booted cd a few time and then desided to install on HD, quicker and easier than Windows. That was before I even found this site. Read in a mag to just type in knz-hdinstall. to easy.
Kymjavascript:emoticon('
')
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
fingers99
You'd expect Firefox to be faster than Mozilla.
and it is by my measurements.
Other than that, it's going to depend on a great many other things: what other services you're running (yep, there will be a lot of them running from a cold boot), your X set up and on and on.
I have no other servies then what knoppix gave me. The only thing I chose to run from the install script was the kdm. X is set up how knoppix set it up.
What are the specifics I should look for in these things you mention.
You don't say how you're starting Mozilla, but FWIW, with an uptime of 4 days, starting from the taskbar until the home page loads, running the stock Debian Moz 1.5, takes approx 11 seconds.
I am starting mozilla on a cold boot of the system.......after freshly turning the PC on.. The times are the same from the taskbar or the command line.
Everyone who has quoted me times has quoted me times with an AMD processor. Since it is popular among linux people could it be that the stock mozilla binaries are all compiled to that chip and not mine ( P4 )?
Would that make a difference?
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
beforewisdom
I am starting mozilla on a cold boot of the system.......after freshly turning the PC on.. The times are the same from the taskbar or the command line.
Everyone who has quoted me times has quoted me times with an AMD processor. Since it is popular among linux people could it be that the stock mozilla binaries are all compiled to that chip and not mine ( P4 )?
Would that make a difference?
Steve
Those times seem excessive to me, it takes Firebird 6 seconds to load on my Athlon 1333 with 768mb ram that is on a 7200rpm HD. Have you went to Kano's page and downloaded the fix-fonts.sh and run it?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Stephen

Originally Posted by
beforewisdom
I am starting mozilla on a cold boot of the system.......after freshly turning the PC on.. The times are the same from the taskbar or the command line.
Everyone who has quoted me times has quoted me times with an AMD processor. Since it is popular among linux people could it be that the stock mozilla binaries are all compiled to that chip and not mine ( P4 )?
Would that make a difference?
Steve
Those times seem excessive to me, it takes Firebird 6 seconds to load on my Athlon 1333 with 768mb ram that is on a 7200rpm HD. Have you went to
Kano's page and downloaded the fix-fonts.sh and run it?
I just ran that script.....no effects of any kind that I could see.
What is it supposed to do for your system?
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
beforewisdom
I just ran that script.....no effects of any kind that I could see.
What is it supposed to do for your system?
Steve
The font paths are screwed up on a HD install so applications spend time trying to figure out where they are I thought that may have been your problem but obviously not. Have you tried starting them in a console window and see if you find any errors in the startup routine of both programs? It maybe a non-critical missing library or something like that.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Mozilla, Knoppix or My Machine

Originally Posted by
beforewisdom
Hi;
I recently timed startups( on a *cold* boot ) for Mozilla 1.6 and
Firefox 0.8 on my system:
Mozilla : 18 seconds
Firefox: 10 seconds.
I am running:
- A P4 2.53 gigahertz processor
- 533 mhz front side bus
- 512 DDR Ram /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdc
- a 10 gig partition ( of a 40 gig hard drive ) with:
- hd installed knoppix( debian ), mix of test, & unstable
- icewm
- a dmae enabled system.
- /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh has this line of code in it at the
bottom
/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdc
- knoppix with icewm
So, my question is, given all of this information are my *cold* boot
startup times for the Mozilla browsers normal? Should I be getting
faster startup times?
Thanks in advance
I think I discovered the cause of my 18 second startuptime for mozilla and 10 second startup time for fireforx. I installed a fresh copy of my distro ( knoppix june 03 ) onto another partition on my hard drive. Mozilla started up in 5 seconds flat. The way I see it this clears my hardware as the culprit, it clears my distro as the culprit, it clears anything in my .mozill dir as the culprit ( firefox uses .phoenix and was installed fresh ). People in the knoppix forum were surprised at my lousy startup times so I dont think it is a never version of mozilla. Im guessing apt-get hosed me in a dependency it got. Oh well, next weekend I am wiping my disk . I am going to start over with gentoo and mephis ( quick and easy distro to use while I work on gentoo )
Similar Threads
-
By B@se in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
-
By Ryan450 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
-
By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
-
By turbines in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-28-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX
$14.99

1TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Enterprise HDD for PowerEdge Servers | G14 Tray
$117.99

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00