-
Junior Member
registered user
help Give users root access
After installing knoppix onto the harddrive (which went so smoothly, it was a beautiful thing),
I upgraded from KDE3.0 to KDE3.1 (which is also beautiful)
however befor upgrading I was able to be logged in as a user and then open
up konsole I would type
su then my password and I would have access to root and be able to run Xapps
After upgrading to KDE3.1 I no longer have that ability. I have to use
xhost +local:<username> and then I have access. but If i reboot I have to type it in
again.
I dont want to have to type that in EVERYTIME I want to have root enabled Xapps when I
restart the system, I want the system to do this at startup like it did before I got KDE3.1
Does anyone know what commands should put in to give any current and future user I create root access to the Xapps.
Also where should I put the commands.
thank you in advance for your help.
LuisI
-
Junior Member
registered user
I had this problem a loooooong time ago when I broke X on a Mandrake6.5 box.
The fix was to create a file in /etc/ called X0.hosts containing one line:
localhost
The X server will automatically apply it in the manner of "xhost +localhost" each time the server starts.
Whether it is still the same now and on Debian, I don't know.
Nick
P.S. Note X0.hosts is a capital 'X' and a zero 0, not an 'oh'
-
Junior Member
registered user
I tried to create the X0.hosts file inside the /etc/ directory....nope it didnt work.
when I login and su to root I try to start an Xapp... in this case to keep it simple I use xeyes.
this is what happens
root@Sphinux:/home/luis# xeyes
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
Error: Can't open display: :0.0
the X0.hosts file inside the /etc/ directory only has the one line you said to put in.
any other suggestions? maybe its different in knoppix debian?
Luis
-
Junior Member
registered user
I don't know then... it worked 3 years ago
As to the
Error: Can't open display: :0.0
that can be fixed by setting the ENV $var
env DISPLAY=localhost:0
Nick
-
Junior Member
registered user
everything works just fine if I type in
xhost local:
just dont know how to make knoppix/debian using KDE3.1 do it automatically.
[/b]
-
Junior Member
registered user
Just thought!!
To use the X0.hosts file, you need to have a localhost entry in /etc/hosts !
Nick
-
Junior Member
registered user
OK
Please walk me through what you mean about the /etc/hosts file.
this is what is inside my file
127.0.0.1 Sphinux localhost
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
what do I need to do?
-
Junior Member
registered user
127.0.0.1 localhost is right.
Also, do a:
#> man xhost
That will tell you more about X.
Nick
*EDIT* OK, I see the spec has changed. Try:
local
In the /etc/X0.hosts file instead.
Nick
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Junior Member
registered user
You did restart X after applying the line, right?
If you did, then I don't know.
Nick
Similar Threads
-
By Degman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-10-2004, 07:06 PM
-
By empanyc in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
-
By pizarra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:01 PM
-
By mikesb in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 07:48 AM
-
By athlonthunder in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99