-
Senior Member
registered user
I would like to issue the command X -query 10.10.2.5 or X -broadcast from a runlevel 2 to login on my server remotely. How do I get my client PCs to boot-up to runlevel 2 (text only login screen - like a shell). I thought all I'd have to do is edit /etc/inittab but I'm still getting a graphical boot.
TIA,
-
Senior Member
registered user
AJG, sort of off topic but ...
In debian systems the links to gdm, kdm, or xdm from /etc/init.d are in all rcX.d directories, do the following...
ls /etc/rc?.d/*gdm
it will show something like this:
/etc/rc0.d/K01gdm /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm /etc/rc4.d/S99gdm /etc/rc6.d/K01gdm
/etc/rc1.d/K01gdm /etc/rc3.d/S99gdm /etc/rc5.d/S99gdm
So what runlevel did you select to startup?
Let's assume you chose runlevel 3, and using my above system setup where I use gdm, so then either:
chmod a-x /etc/rc3.d/S99gdm # to make the entry non-executable
or
rm /etc/rc3.d/S99gdm # to delete the link
then when you boot up you won't have gdm started in runlevel 3
HTH
~rock
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanx, I just figured out exactly what you explained above withe kdm....
Thanx anyway!
PS: did you see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ghlight=#28179 ?
Similar Threads
-
By Degman in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-10-2004, 07:06 PM
-
By empanyc in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
-
By pizarra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:01 PM
-
By mikesb in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-27-2003, 07:48 AM
-
By athlonthunder in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 3 | Intel I5-1245U | 16GB RAM | 256GB NVMe | W11P | W/AC
$299.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99