Select kde3 from the session type menu option.
helo..
I've recently upgraded my version of kde.. by doing the following:
apt-get update
apt-get install kdm
apt-get install kde
after it finished all its downloads/updates I restarted kde... /etc/init.d/kdm restart
the login screen comes up.. i select either my root or user accounts and neither of them are able to login.. it just gives invalid login.. I've restarted the box.. and still have the same issue.. I can login via console so im a little miffed at what could be causing this.. i've tried renaming the .kde directory's for root and the user but no go..
any help is appreciated.. cheers
Select kde3 from the session type menu option.
tried that.. still a no go..
Just guessing here but could it have something to do with a missing .xsession file in the home directory ?
BTW, what do you get in .xsession-errors ?
Have you ungraded to KDE 3.2.1? The login manager in KDE3.2 is all new & so far not configurable. see KDE bug report 75882 (http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75882).
I successfully upgaded Mandrake to KDE3.2.0 but when I tried to upgrade Morphix to KDE3.2.1 I had basically the same problem you have. I was able to get logged in but as root only & then I couldn't log out...it would just keep trying to re-login at the graphical login. Maybe the KDE3.2.1 deb package is no good.
I ended up chucking Morphix (it wasn't working out anyway), installed Knoppix 3.3 instead but I haven't attacked it enough to break it (yet).
Just had another thought (Wow...two in one day!). Check out this link (KDE board)
http://www.kde-forum.org/viewtopic.php?p=9609#9609
and this one (KDE bug report)
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=68331
Maybe, just maybe the solution to your problem has something to do with 'pam'.
I haven't a clue what pam is but 'solution #17' did work on my Mandrake system 'authentication failure' error message.
Cheers! I'll check it out and let you know the results![]()
well i managed to fix it thanx to those who helped.. it appears that in my /etc/pam.d dir i had both a kdm and xdm config.. once i renamed the kdm to kdm-old started it up.. and she's away.. funny thing is.. it doesn't appear to have updated my kde version at all.. only added a few missing packages..

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99
Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800
$199.95
Atari St Diskette Lot Spot Tested Utilities Back Up Games 98 Disks Uncle Pervo
$127.42
Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25