-
Junior Member
registered user
no graphical login..
helo..
I've recently upgraded my version of kde.. by doing the following:
apt-get update
apt-get install kdm
apt-get install kde
after it finished all its downloads/updates I restarted kde... /etc/init.d/kdm restart
the login screen comes up.. i select either my root or user accounts and neither of them are able to login.. it just gives invalid login.. I've restarted the box.. and still have the same issue.. I can login via console so im a little miffed at what could be causing this.. i've tried renaming the .kde directory's for root and the user but no go..
any help is appreciated.. cheers
-
Senior Member
registered user
Select kde3 from the session type menu option.
-
Junior Member
registered user
tried that.. still a no go..
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just guessing here but could it have something to do with a missing .xsession file in the home directory ?
BTW, what do you get in .xsession-errors ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you ungraded to KDE 3.2.1? The login manager in KDE3.2 is all new & so far not configurable. see KDE bug report 75882 (http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75882).
I successfully upgaded Mandrake to KDE3.2.0 but when I tried to upgrade Morphix to KDE3.2.1 I had basically the same problem you have. I was able to get logged in but as root only & then I couldn't log out...it would just keep trying to re-login at the graphical login. Maybe the KDE3.2.1 deb package is no good.
I ended up chucking Morphix (it wasn't working out anyway), installed Knoppix 3.3 instead but I haven't attacked it enough to break it (yet).
-
Senior Member
registered user
Just had another thought (Wow...two in one day!). Check out this link (KDE board)
http://www.kde-forum.org/viewtopic.php?p=9609#9609
and this one (KDE bug report)
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=68331
Maybe, just maybe the solution to your problem has something to do with 'pam'.
I haven't a clue what pam is but 'solution #17' did work on my Mandrake system 'authentication failure' error message.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Cheers! I'll check it out and let you know the results
-
Junior Member
registered user
well i managed to fix it thanx to those who helped.. it appears that in my /etc/pam.d dir i had both a kdm and xdm config.. once i renamed the kdm to kdm-old started it up.. and she's away.. funny thing is.. it doesn't appear to have updated my kde version at all.. only added a few missing packages..
Similar Threads
-
By bgsneeze in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM
-
By Tiggs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 17
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-24-2003, 09:39 PM
-
By jmrizz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS
$249.98

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50