Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: LILO install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    LILO install

    I am very new to Linux. I am MCSE in Windows but do not know much about Linux. Ask me about windows and I can help but not Linux.

    OK, so here is my problem. I installed Widows 98 on a primary FAT 32 partition on 1 drive. I installed Knoppix 3.1 or 3.2 one the same drive with a Linux swap partition. It worked great, I am super impressed with Knoppix. I found the the 98 was version 1 and I decided to install version 2. After the install, Lilo was gone and it always boot into Windows. The MBR must have been overwritten with the install.

    My question is, HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO AFTER THE INSTALLATION? In Windows we use "SYS C:" to copy the system files or "FDISK /MBR" to rewrite the master boot record.

    HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO?

    Any help would be cool.

    Luis

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: LILO install

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimer
    I am very new to Linux. I am MCSE in Windows but do not know much about Linux. Ask me about windows and I can help but not Linux.

    OK, so here is my problem. I installed Widows 98 on a primary FAT 32 partition on 1 drive. I installed Knoppix 3.1 or 3.2 one the same drive with a Linux swap partition. It worked great, I am super impressed with Knoppix. I found the the 98 was version 1 and I decided to install version 2. After the install, Lilo was gone and it always boot into Windows. The MBR must have been overwritten with the install.

    My question is, HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO AFTER THE INSTALLATION? In Windows we use "SYS C:" to copy the system files or "FDISK /MBR" to rewrite the master boot record.

    HOW DO YOU INSTALL LILO?

    Any help would be cool.

    Luis
    Boot with the Knoppix CD open a console window then:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    sudo chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
    Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of your / partition for Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Worked Great

    Thanks,

    That did the trick. LILO is back and the thing still dual boots.

    BTW,

    I love Knoppix.

    Luis

Similar Threads

  1. 3.8.1 not install LILO
    By ottosykora in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 07:43 AM
  2. Install without LILO?
    By WilyPython in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
  3. install withour LILO
    By leny in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
  4. Bug in 3.4 hdd install lilo menu
    By master_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 11:10 PM
  5. Lilo doesn't install.
    By raid517 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99