Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Trying to rescue my evolution folder from Xandros

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4

    Trying to rescue my evolution folder from Xandros

    Hi my xandros system won't boot, it hangs when trying to load the kernel. before I reinstall I want to use knoppix to back up my evolution folder as well as some other docs and such. However I am unable to copy the evolution folder because I don't have the permissions. I've tried chmod 666 on the evolution folder, which lets me access the folder but I can't see any of the contents. If anyone can tell me what to do about this I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    If you are doing it as root you shouldn't have problems with permissions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    That's what I thought too, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong I type cp /mnt/hda2/home/phil/phil_old/evolution
    /mnt/win/storage/backup/evolution
    and it tells cp: omitting directory`/mnt/hda2/home/phil/phil_old/evolution'

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try sudo cp -R /........ and you should make a /home partition next time you install and not have to worry about this type of thing again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by kojak666
    That's what I thought too, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong I type cp /mnt/hda2/home/phil/phil_old/evolution
    /mnt/win/storage/backup/evolution
    and it tells cp: omitting directory`/mnt/hda2/home/phil/phil_old/evolution'
    You need to use "cp -R ..." or "cp -r ..." when copying directories.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks you guys are lifesavers, and yes I've been kicking myself for not creatint a separate /home partition.
    Thanks again

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
  2. Xandros Open Circulation Edition 2.01 now available
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 01:02 AM
  3. Evolution??
    By Milhouse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:06 AM
  4. Evolution
    By fitsnips in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 08:20 PM
  5. Evolution
    By MattT in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99