Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Booting from CD image on HD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5

    Booting from CD image on HD

    I recently tried Knoppix for the first time (3.3), and was so impressed that I wiped windows, repartitioned, and did a clean install from within the live CD.
    Later I discovered that doing so ate up most of my 4 GB HD, so I'd like to go back to running from CD.

    My question is: Is it possible to create an image of the Knoppix CD on my HD, and boot from that image? I'd like to only use 700 MB of HD space, but still enjoy the speed increase over running from CD.

    Thanks for any help. I'm a total Linux newbie, so please don't be too technical. BTW, the system I'm running Knoppix on is a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, with an Ethernet-to-USB network attached. I can't believe it detected everything and worked perfectly the first time!! As soon as I'm familiar with Linux, window$ is bye bye.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Your looking for the tohd and fromhd cheat codes.

  3. #3

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix from ISO image located on NTFS drive.
    By yaleyu in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 03:27 PM
  2. image off booting disks
    By moiz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 08:39 PM
  3. problem booting remaster-image from harddisk
    By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 06:17 PM
  4. Testing and booting my remastered image before burning it
    By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM
  5. Booting the ISO image from hard disk
    By cheelib in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00