Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Need to save files in knoppix without my HDD or FDD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5

    Need to save files in knoppix without my HDD or FDD

    Hi all,

    I want to use Knoppix but I have some questions before... I have to do a "demo" of my program generated in Linux Mandrake 9.1. The problem is that I have to give to other people a demo of my program and it has to work instead of their SO.
    I heared about knoppix, but I have to know some things: I have to save my demo in the knoppix linux in order to make a daemon to include it in the start up process... is there any way to save this config and the demo files without using the floppy or the hard disk space? I have to give this demo to some different clients, so they have to have the option to easily install and load my demo instead of making this through their SO. The best way I think is the knoppix one, as the vmware program is not useful in these cases... but I would like a little bit more help...
    Waiting you could guide me through these theme...
    Best regards,
    Christal

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    You should remaster knoppix. The process will take a few hours and should not be too difficult as there are nice guides in the docs section of this site.

    You'd install your service, and set it to run in /etc/rc5.d with a shortcut pointing to the init script.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    ok, thanks for your fast reply! but... I'm very new in knoppix and I'm not sure how to remaster knoppix... I understand you when you tell me that I have to save my daemon in to a rc5.d folder, but it's so simply as opening my knoppix cd and saving it again in another cd but including my daemon?

    I'm very sorry.... but, could you please tell me a little more about what I have to do or wher I could go in order to know a little more about this theme? I'm very sorry but It's my first day with knoppix and I'm very lost...
    Thanks a lot again and sorry very much if I could disturb you...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you should mount a knoppix iso -o loop and chroot to the image, that is:

    Code:
    mount -t iso9660 /search/path/to/knoppix.iso -o loop /mnt/iso
    then
    Code:
    chroot /mnt/iso
    now you are working in the iso image just as it was your regular install.
    that is, you can remove packages, edit files..., i would remove unwanted/non-essentials first, at least enough to give room for your things.
    you terminate the session with exit.
    for more info man chroot man mount, man apt and man dpkg.
    there is more in the customising section. look around there. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5
    OK! Thanks a lot! I'll try it!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    btw when chrooting you may have to use the full paths to your programes, that or addin them to your $PATH

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 03:17 AM
  2. Download/Save files on hd
    By robbiw in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 07:17 PM
  3. knoppix noob how can i save files to hard drive?
    By santaklaws in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:07 AM
  4. Reinstalling Knoppix, must save MBR!
    By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:38 AM
  5. Floppy config files too big to save !
    By in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2003, 06:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99