Ok. Here's what I ended up doing to get Sound working reliably under Knoppix 3.3 on my Thinkpad 600, and why.
But what should I have done?
The module needed is the cs4232 (and opl3 for midi).
This seems to get loaded, but without any options, at boot, sound doesn't work, reporting an error with /dev/dsp.
Adding the correct options to modules.conf, via /etc/modutils/sound had no effect (this is how I thought it should work... Weird).
So I've ended up with the following script symlinked to rc5.d as S98 (prior to kde loading).
I didn't bother with midi, but that would beCode:#!/bin/bash rmmod cs4232 rmmod ad1848 rmmod uart401 rmmod opl3 rmmod sound rmmod soundcore modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5 synthio=-1 synthirq=-1
I found that this has to be loaded prior to the gui starting as kde attempts to initalise sound and then you can't rmmod the modules.Code:modprobe opl3 io=0x388
Does anyone have a more elegant solution, or advice as to how to do this properly?
Cheers

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00