Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

    I am a complete linux newbie and i am running Knoppix off the cd.
    I have 3 pc's all connected via a hub.
    I would like to know how to setup the network on knoppix on 1 of my computers and how to make it work with ICS with xp with the knoppix computer connecting through another computer to the internet
    I run the default settings for ics that you get from the network setup wizard.(DHCP server etc.)
    I run a PPPOE internet connection.(Aol Broadband in the UK bypassing the software)

    I would some to explain how to do this in a very simple way to me
    Thanks
    Stuart

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

    Quote Originally Posted by snmacd
    ....
    I have 3 pc's all connected via a hub.
    I would like to know how to setup the network on knoppix on 1 of my computers and how to make it work with ICS with xp with the knoppix computer connecting through another computer to the internet...
    I run a PPPOE internet connection.(Aol Broadband in the UK bypassing the software)...
    There have been some other threads here that discuss ICS, you might want to read them. I've never used ICS, so don't feel comfortable saying if it will work or not (there seem to be 2 different answers to that question). I hope someone who has done it can give you a better answer. But since you are using a broadband connection, I would like to suggest a different solution. It will cost a few bucks but not much, and I think you will be much happier in the end: Use a small Internet router. These devices are now amazingly inexpensive (often $10 US or less here afer rebate for the wired versions), and will give you a lot of utility and protection, as well as avoiding issues of Knoppix trying to get to the Internet through XP.

    Personally even if I was using only one computer on a broadband connection I would buy one (I did a few years ago when I got one "on sale" for $100). Not that you shouldn't be able to do this with your current hardware and configuring XP properly, but some others who have tried it are reporting problems. Even if you get it working, consider adding an Internet router and bypassing ICS completely.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    So, you have one machine running XP connected to the broadband and running ICS on a second port and then this is connected to a hub?

    Maybe I don't understand, but if you boot knoppix on a machine connected to a LAN with a server that supports DCHP, knoppix will just simply work, no settings need to be changed.

    This is how I first experimented with knoppix (before dumping W98SE):-

    internet - cable modem - USB port on [PC running W98SE and ICS] from ethernet port - crossed ethernet cable - PC running knoppix

    Does that make sense?

    Cheers, Stu.....

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    Stuart

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Following along too, I have my XP network set up & a spare PC sat on the network, ready to try & connect via XP ICS - problem though, message similar to 'not enough memory to start kde, needs at least 82M'. Got 64Meg. Is there a way round this so I can try testing the actual browser on the CD? or should I just have done with it & go buy memory tomorrow.

    Tried 'ping' on a whim in the text shell that came up, getting responses from what seems to be the XP ICS machine - it won't stop pinging though!

    Erm..

    I want to ping something different! Stop! STOP!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Ok.. I can't believe that just worked.

    Low on memory for kde so I just fdisked the hard drive, and formatted it as primary dos partition C: , knoppix picked up on it fine and set up a swapfile on it. kde came up fine. Konqueror came up fine. Google came up fine in Konqueror. Then I came here. All via the XP machine's ICS connection. I've hardly touched a key.

    Thanks for this thread guys. I've been a bit scared of Linux ever since I tried Slackware 96.. this is seriously helping me get over my phobia!!!!

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    turned out to be ping [IP] [ -c count]

    guess I'm too used to Microsoft holding my hand on the command line

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    homer, try using the cheatcode knoppix desktop=icewm when the boot: comes up the = might have moved some due to the us kemap in startup phase (for me it is the key with ').
    Icewm is MUCH lighter on resourses than KDE. it would work better for you i think.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for that.. didn't ask for a swapfile this time, & icewm kinda feels a little more familiar to me, coming from a MS Windows background. So this is Mozilla, eh!

    The = was right where it should have been, I did change from US to UK last session in kde though. Womnder how it remembered that..

    Bit of a learning curve ahead. Should be fun. Guess this is going off topic for the networking section anyway though..

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    us and uk have verry similar layouts
    the lerning curve will bee steep. but after a few weeks just a few things wil be troublesome. mostly having to mount/unmount cd's, floppies... but i have found that there is no limit to where lerning stops i gnu-linux.
    you can learn just enough to do daily tasks or everything to the tiniest detail. all the documentation is there.
    I have done 3 lfs (linux from scratch) using knoppix as "mother" distribution, ok first was a 3day project but i got knowlege i could not get in any other way.
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    enjoy your linux OE

Similar Threads

  1. Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover
    By wannessmet in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
  3. Need help with setting up my Onboard Network
    By Luke Riches in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
  4. Network setting during install - newbie
    By Tovi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 08:24 PM
  5. eepro100.o e100.o network module (intel network cards)
    By david in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



TeamGroup T-Force DELTA RGB 64GB 2x32 picture

TeamGroup T-Force DELTA RGB 64GB 2x32

$800.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Crucial PC4-25600 PC4 3200AA 16GB 1X16GB DDR4 2RX8 3200MHz 260pin Memory Ram picture

Crucial PC4-25600 PC4 3200AA 16GB 1X16GB DDR4 2RX8 3200MHz 260pin Memory Ram

$55.00



Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC picture

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC

$150.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99