-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Setting Up Win XP Network and Use ICS

Originally Posted by
snmacd
....
I have 3 pc's all connected via a hub.
I would like to know how to setup the network on knoppix on 1 of my computers and how to make it work with ICS with xp with the knoppix computer connecting through another computer to the internet...
I run a PPPOE internet connection.(Aol Broadband in the UK bypassing the software)...
There have been some other threads here that discuss ICS, you might want to read them. I've never used ICS, so don't feel comfortable saying if it will work or not (there seem to be 2 different answers to that question). I hope someone who has done it can give you a better answer. But since you are using a broadband connection, I would like to suggest a different solution. It will cost a few bucks but not much, and I think you will be much happier in the end: Use a small Internet router. These devices are now amazingly inexpensive (often $10 US or less here afer rebate for the wired versions), and will give you a lot of utility and protection, as well as avoiding issues of Knoppix trying to get to the Internet through XP.
Personally even if I was using only one computer on a broadband connection I would buy one (I did a few years ago when I got one "on sale" for $100). Not that you shouldn't be able to do this with your current hardware and configuring XP properly, but some others who have tried it are reporting problems. Even if you get it working, consider adding an Internet router and bypassing ICS completely.
Similar Threads
-
By wannessmet in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:08 PM
-
By woshme in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
-
By Luke Riches in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
-
By Tovi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-20-2003, 08:24 PM
-
By david in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99