Quote Originally Posted by ashyx
Hi, I was having the same problem as you, I'm also pretty new to Linux and Knoppix, but I have managed to rectify it.

I have a 3c2000 on board NIC, but the 3c940 and the 3c2000 share the same driver.
You can download the 3c940 driver from here: http://www.asus.it/support/download/...odelName=P4P8X

Once you have downloaded it you will have to build the driver module. Simply copy the 3c2000.tar.gz to the Knoppix desktop and extract it by right clicking it and then selecting 'extract' from the menu then open the folder it extracts to.
Next click tools then 'open terminal' The command window should open at the current directory where the driver is extracted.

Now type 'make install' and the driver should begin to build.
Once it has finished the driver module will be named 3c2000.o

The next step is to copy the driver module to a floppy disk.
Reboot knoppix with the floppy in the drive then at the boot prompt type 'Expert'
Follow the prompts until it asks if you want to load any other modules from a floppy.
Let it find the module then it will ask which modules you wish to install. Type 3c2000.o and then the driver should load and your card will be detected.
Then just continue with the prompts until knoppix has finished loading. You should now find the driver is loaded and you card is ready to use.

Let me know if you have any problems and if you get it working OK.

P.S. I'm typing this from Knoppix right now.

I am most gratefull!!! I could not believe that I was able to get it working. I have been trying so long. I assumed that it would not be possible, because Knoppix starts from CD and in many occasions I get a message that information cannot be written because of inaccessibility (read-only etc). Also in this case I got error messages, but got the 3c2000.o anyhow.

Thanks tremendously for the clear description.

My next problem: although my soundcard (Sound Blaster live) is detected at startup and the driver emu10K1 is loaded, I cannot play wave- nor midi-files. Strangely enough, I can hear CD's (softer than usual) with the program KsCD, so that the system works alright in that case.

On my motherboard (Asus P4C800 deluxe) there is AI audio AC'97, but under Windows I am using the SoundBlaster, which is added to a PCI-slot. I have to check whether I have the on board chip disabled or on auto-detect. When I configure the audio under Knoppix, the AC97 is detected but does not play the Wave's and Midi's either. Possibly I need the new drivers on the Ausus-URL that you provided. But since the SBlive was detected during start-up and since the CD's are being played correctly, this might not be necessary.

Would you have any ideas on this one as well?

Thanks again for your help!