Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix Winmodem support via linmodem?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix Winmodem support via linmodem?

    I'm quite pleased at how well Knoppix is running on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook. The only hiccup so far has been the inability to use dial-up (which I am unfortunately limited to at home -- it recognizes the office Ethernet handily enough, though).

    The Inspiron 8200 has a Winmodem. (I know: the fact that it's a Winmodem means it's at least partially a software issue, but modem problems seem to fit better in this Hardware forum.)

    A little web research (thank you, Google) led me to http://www.linmodems.org. A Linmodem is a Winmodem than can be used with a Linux or open source driver.

    I've confirmed (via this database: http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/20030123a.html ) that the Actiontec MD560RD internal Winmodem uses the Conexant chipset and that there are Linmodem drivers ( http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/ ) available that may make my Winmodem work under Knoppix.

    My question: How the heck do I get the Linmodem driver installed under Knoppix???

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    25
    Im also trying to make my Conexant (formely rockwell ?) HSF modem to work on my toshiba laptop.
    I let ya know when i got it figured out

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1

    I may or may not have a solution to your problems

    I have a lucent/agere chipset modem in my linux box and I went through all kinds of trouble trying to get it to work. I finally got it to work and I'm viewing the internet on it right now . The issue i had is that my modems interrupt was set to 0. In my case, it won't let you use the modem if the interrupt is 0. If your interrupt is set to 0, you have a few of solutions that i know of.

    1. If possible through your bios, force the card to use a different interrupt.

    2. In your bios, change the setting "PNP OS" to no.

    3. If possible change the pci slot that the modem is in, it should give it a different interrupt (yes,
    i know that your issue is with a notebook... but i figured i'd throw that in there for anyone else that may have use of it)

    I hope that solves your problem(s) or atleast gets you started on your way to a functioning linmodem.

Similar Threads

  1. lucent winmodem on knoppix 3.3
    By Skytos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 12:00 AM
  2. Lucent Winmodem may work with KNOPPIX
    By funkea in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.3 and My Winmodem...
    By DJTech in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:34 PM
  4. Compaq Presario X100 Linmodem help !!
    By d3j452 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 04:42 AM
  5. read-only problem when installing linmodem
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7 picture

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7

$69.59