-
dlink dwl-520 wireless config help please
Hello. I have a fresh HD install of Knoppix 3.3. I'm trying to get my Dlink DWL-520 (802.11b -- not the + version) wireless PCI card working but no luck so far.
When I run lspci -v I get the following:
...
00:0f.0 Network Controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
...
I also tried running iwconfig wlan0 and got the following:
...
wlan0 IEEE 802.11-b Mode:Auto Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Encryption key:off
...
so, I'm pretty sure it can find the card. Also, it works fine under Win2k so I don't think there are any insurmountable hardware problems. However, when I run wlcardconfig I get a message saying 'no wireless network card found'. When I run netcardconfig I get a message asking if I want to use DHCP broadcast. answering 'yes' just get's me a 'operation failed' message. Answering No allows me to go through a series of questions but doesn't give me a chance to enter the WEP key and so it fails trying to contact the default gateway (my Wireless Router/access point has WEP enabled and is the DHCP server for the network).
thanks for any help anyone can offer.
-
Sorry - no chance
I used the same wireless PCI card before. I tried to make it work for quite some time, untill I found out that the chip Dlink uses for this card is manufactured by Texas Instruments. TI won't release anything for the Linux-community to compile a working driver. So I gave up and got myself another card. (U.S.Robotronics)
says
Milliways
Hamburg
Germany
Northern hemisphere
-
Junior Member
registered user
I've also had no luck with the D-Link wireless cards using the TI chipset. Easiest solution is not to buy them!
-
Perhaps you might give 'Craig's ACX100 How to' (http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php) a try.
Although I use the DWL-520+, it might give you some hints on how to do it on the 520.
I've got my wireless network working with Fedora Core1 running on a desktop (with the 520+) and a Dell Latitude laptop (Fedora Core1 with DWL650+).
Good luck.
-
I've got the DWL-520+, and have no idea how to get it to work. Care to share the info zedlavic. I am extremely new to Linux as a whole, so dumb it down as much as possible.
Thanks so much. I'm really wanting to make the switch, but I can't live without internet.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
imipolex: It depends on the version of the card you have. I have the dwl-520e working just fine with this howto
CPFitz14
Google got me this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ighlight=dwl50
As was already mentioned, have a look at Craigs howto as I beleive it has some info pertinent to Knoppix even.
Similar Threads
-
By tony_c in forum Laptops
Replies: 44
Last Post: 10-07-2007, 12:36 PM
-
By reisyboy in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-05-2005, 04:05 PM
-
By puggled in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-09-2004, 04:10 PM
-
By g3guy in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-11-2004, 01:02 PM
-
By -=NTL=- in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99