Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problem with CDROm after kernel compilation

  1. #1

    Problem with CDROm after kernel compilation

    I'm having trouble on my unstable (knoppix 3.2 installed to HD) system & haven't found a solution in the forum. The original system installed to HD recognizes the CD player fine. When I compile my own kernel (2.4.22, 2.4.24 or 2.6, with SCSI & SCSI generic support ), I'm getting a "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device" error. Here's the relevant output from dmesg:
    =========================================
    hdd: CD-224E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    ide-cd: passing drive hdd to ide-scsi emulation.
    hdd: attached ide-scsi driver.
    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: TEAC Model: CD-224E Rev: K.0B
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    =========================================

    ... but no joy. When I boot my original kernel (the original that was installed to HD), the cdrom attaches fine. Here's dmesg from that boot, after HDD was passed to ide-scsi:

    ========================================
    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: TEAC Model: CD-224E Rev: K.0B
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x xa/form2 cdda tray
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
    ========================================

    Looks like what's missing in the first instance is the last three lines. Even I can figure out it's using sr0. In /dev, sr0 is symlinked to sda1.
    When I use cdrecord --scanbus to see if the problem system is even seeing the cd player, I get an encouraging response:

    ===============================================
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'TEAC ' 'CD-224E ' 'K.0B' Removable CD-ROM
    ===============================================

    I'm stumped ... /dev/cdrom is a symlink to scd0. sr0 is also a symlink to scd0. At boot HDD, the cd player, is getting passed to the ide-scsi driver, sg is being utilized I've tried mounting /dev/sda1, /dev/scd0, /dev/sr0. The only way I can get the thing to show up is to boot my original kernel, Knoppix installed to the hard disc, which isn't great because my compiled kernel otherwise is rockin'. I know I'm letting my frustration get in the way & I'm missing something really basic, so any help would be appreciated. Did I overlook a compilation option?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Problem with CDROm after kernel compilation

    Quote Originally Posted by bcalder

    Looks like what's missing in the first instance is the last three lines. Even I can figure out it's using sr0. In /dev, sr0 is symlinked to sda1.
    That looks strange to me it should be linked /dev/scd0 you may want to change that if this is really the case and you have not made a typo. If you want to look at a config file that works with ide-scsi it is here and is from my old 2.6.2 kernel.

    Code:
    >$ ll /dev/sr0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 2004-03-12 23:09 /dev/sr0 -> scd0

  3. #3
    Uh ... I actually did make a typo. My ll output looks just like yours, /dev/sr0 is symlinked to scd0, not sda1 (a hangover from trying to get my USB CF card reader going!!)

    How do you have your cdrom set up in /etc/fstab??

    I'm going to look at your config file to see if I skipped anything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I use this line here and it works fine for my dvd burner.
    Code:
    /dev/scd0       /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0

  5. #5
    OK, I recompiled my 2.4.22 kernel without SCSI emulation. Now, the OS sees HDD & uses the ide-cdrom driver. The problem is, I don't know where/how to mount it. When try to mount it after boot, I'm getting a kernel panic (this may have been an audio CD. Should I modify fstab to use /dev/hdd & mount at /cdrom??

    Also, where is the kernel make-config located so I can campare my parameters with yours, Stephen?

    TIA!!


    ==============================================
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=2.4.22 ro root=306 hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hde=scsi apm=power-off nomce
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: ide_setup: hda=scsi
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: ide_setup: hdb=scsi
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: ide_setup: hdc=scsi
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: ide_setup: hde=scsi
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: hdd: attached ide-cdrom driver.
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: hdd: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
    Mar 14 10:17:23 gwlap kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

    mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom
    hdd:communication error: status=0x51 <<<<<<PANIC!!>>>>>>>

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    If you used the Debian kernel package then the conifg is in the /boot/ directory along with the kernel image and system map. If not then the config is in the top level directory of the kernel source as .config. You should be trying to mount a data CD not an audio there is no file system that will be read by Knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix / Debian Kernel compilation
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
  2. cdrom & 2.6 kernel
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 05:57 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.4-2.6.5 kernel cdrom fix
    By Romkillah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:29 AM
  4. cloop 0.68 and Red Hat 7.3 problem compilation
    By lucky in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 11:19 AM
  5. Reiserfs and kernel compilation
    By mordor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$344.74



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99