I did double check, I was using the description not the pc name.. I tried running the command smb://MattsPC (thats the actual name of the xp box) and it just came back saying it couldn't find it..Originally Posted by kellinjar
is there any hope?![]()
uhm..hrmOriginally Posted by Stephen
Good question on all of that. All I did was run the knoppix HD install (After partitioning the drive using qtparted) its hda7 I believe. I was just trying to access it through the desktop icon same as I did for the other drive.
I used qtparted to format hda5 as reiserfs (it supports ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs..or xtfs whichever that other one is)I was only using the gui..but I also tried going through the shell (using CD) and I could get there but not change anything on the drive.
I did double check, I was using the description not the pc name.. I tried running the command smb://MattsPC (thats the actual name of the xp box) and it just came back saying it couldn't find it..Originally Posted by kellinjar
is there any hope?![]()
Tey typeing all CAPS for hte name. For me that would be smb://HOMEONE for my first PC
nada no such directory. I even booted into root user and changed the smb.conf file to set it to the right work group (saw that on another website somewhere) and then tried running the samba server but that doesn't seem to help/work
when I run it it sits there about 20 seconds saying starting samba server then disappers.
I just rebooted into her knoppix profile and used the konsole to type in all caps no good. Tried the root shell, typed in the root password and the window pops up and closes right away (any idea why that would have happened?)
1. You don't need the samba server running, thats for sharing your files.
2. You shouldn't need to change the workgroup. I didn't.
3. Try typing smb into knoquer (how do you spell it?)
smb:/ gives me a grey page then the result: unable to find any workgroups in your local network (as an error box)
I know the network works (that pC used to ahve win 2k pro on it and it worked fine)
it MIGHt be my firewall.. I just saw a blocked ocnnection from the PCs ip address on the traffic log..one sec..
changed it to allow all and I get:
internal error
please send a full bu report to....
unknown error condition in stat: success
Don't type smb:/ jsut type smb://computername in Konqueror
Also try restarting the windows PC, sometimes tey have an annoying habit of not presenting them selvs to the network.
well its late for me, if you have any more ideas, please leave them, I'll check them in the morning and let you know if they worked here's a current summary of the issues i'm having.
My PC
xp home
sygate personal firewall
ICS
network printer
backed up files for fiance
her PC
knoppix on the HD, gets net through my PC as well as printer
issues (in order of importance)
1) Printer sharing - SMB does not seem to be working
2) Root window no longer functions - rebooted as root user and then made some changes to smb.conf file (as per another websites instructions for file and printer sharing with samba and xp)attempted to configure the lisa daemon using the guide, got it configured but it never seemed to work, also changed the permissions of the etc directory to include write permissions for 'group' (as I could not edit the smb.conf file as the knoppix user) returned to knoppix user account to find the root window closing as soon as I open it, and I still can't save files in the etc group (I applied to permissions to all sub directories and files)
3)File sharing - need to retrieve her backed up files off my xp box and put them on her linux box.
4)Desktop woes. Screen at 1024x768. WHen resized using ctrl-alt and either + or -(only method that seems to work) the screen resizes but desktop remains large, effect is similar to panning around an image that is larger then your viewing area (when you reach the edges the desktop scrolls in that direction, to the limit of 1024x76
any help is always appreciated..working or not I learn something, thanx again!
Didn't catch that before I wrote that last messageOriginally Posted by firebyrd10
I'll try that and let you know
Just woke up and tried that and I can get in!!
now that just leaves teh other 3 problems and I'm all set!
thank you! (of course I can't get the files trasnferred over till I change the write permissions on hda5 and had7 so the knoppix user can write to those drives.. where can I change the permissions of those 2 mounted drives?

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
$341.00