Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Various questions

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Filesystem permissions: edit /etc/fstab

    Added the following or edit your existing lines:
    for your window C drive:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=022 0 0
    instead of 'vfat' you will probably have NTFS so put 'ntfs' instead. Or you could enter 'auto' & Linux is supposed to be able to autodetect the FS.
    'auto' in the about means automatically mount the FS at boot.
    'umask' is the permissions. '022' is read only, normally you do not want to write to your C drive especially if it's NTFS

    for a different windows drive:
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    Here the umask gives read& write permissions.

    You will also have to add the following line to get your usb connections to work.

    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

    If you have installed 'Knoppix mode', Knoppix will reset your filesystem mounts to default values with each boot up, so you may have to add a script to undo what it has done. (Or use 'Debian mode' install)

  2. #22
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16
    Windows and knoppix aren't on the same machine..2 different boxes..
    the knoppix box is using reiserfs for hda5 and ext3 for hda7 ( I would like to know how to change hda7 to reiserfs though)

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by kellinjar
    the knoppix box is using reiserfs for hda5 and ext3 for hda7 ( I would like to know how to change hda7 to reiserfs though)
    Copy all stuff you want to save from hda7 somewhere else and turn off any services that might be using it then do:
    Code:
    umount /dev/hda7
    mkreiserfs /dev/hda7
    Then edit the line for hda7 in /etc/fstab (if you have a line for it there), replace ext3 with reiserfs.
    After that you should be able to mount it again.

  4. #24
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16
    well hda7 is empty right now. The user has no permission to write to it.
    And no permission to write to hda5 (that contains root, etc)
    I'll go into root though and make those changes (for the file system, and see if I can figure out that permission so the user can save and edit stuff now)
    Now that I can see the XP box though via smb:// in konqueror I still need to set up the network printer (knoppix box will get the printer from xp)
    I'll scroll back though see if I can't find the directions for that htouhg

  5. #25
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16
    mmkay I went to root changed permissions the user can now write to hda7 (and its reiserfs) and I believe write to the etc directory
    So i'm back to the Printer problem
    I had tried to set up it upyesterday as a CUPS printer.
    This didn't work
    WHen I try to goto knopppix configure - printer I get:
    configure printers window with spinning hourglass...some 20 seconds later I get 'unable to starts cups server' hit okay and the window closes and thats it.
    and I still can't get the root shell to open in the users account. It was before but since I went to root and made changes and came back, it just opens quickly and closes.

  6. #26
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by kellinjar
    mmkay I went to root changed permissions the user can now write to hda7 (and its reiserfs) and I believe write to the etc directory
    So i'm back to the Printer problem
    I had tried to set up it upyesterday as a CUPS printer.
    This didn't work
    WHen I try to goto knopppix configure - printer I get:
    configure printers window with spinning hourglass...some 20 seconds later I get 'unable to starts cups server' hit okay and the window closes and thats it.
    and I still can't get the root shell to open in the users account. It was before but since I went to root and made changes and came back, it just opens quickly and closes.
    Try /etc/init.d/cupsys start as root then configure and you may want to go to http://www.linuxprinting.org and check on the support for your printer and see the instructions for setting it up with cups.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Just few questions
    By Nikolay in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:19 PM
  2. Questions from the new guy
    By Liquidant in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:28 PM
  3. two questions
    By schunn99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. Several apt-get questions
    By baldyeti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 03:42 PM
  5. Few questions
    By madserb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$239.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00