Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problems using Knoppix with a Seagate 68 Gbyte DRive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2

    Problems using Knoppix with a Seagate 68 Gbyte DRive

    I am using Knoppix 3.3 on a system with an 8 GByte SCSI drive that is starting to fail so I am trying to replace this drive with an 68 GByte drive. When I try to boot from the CD to do a new hard disk install it gets as far as "scanning hard disk partitions reading /etc/fstab" or something like that and reboots. I've tried partitioning the disk using fdisk and xfdisk and done low level SCSI formatting and testing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2
    I finally booted the system off the 8 Gbyte drive and ran the hard disk install on the 68 Gbyte drive, but I was unable to set up more than a 12 Gbyte partition. I'll eventually try to figure out what the problem is, but for the time being I happy to have a working system again. And if you find yourselves in a similar position, I think you should be too. And not spend the two days on it that I did. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9
    I may be completely wrong, I'm no expert!, but your problem sounds similar to the one I just got. i.e. I upgraded to a much bigger disk than the one originally supplied with my PC. The problem was that the bios on the motherboard was unable to "see" all of the new disk. I would suggest you look at the mobo. manufacturers site and also the disk manufacturers site for their help in resolving your problem.

    BTW I fixed my problem with a new PCI controller, in addition to upgrading the bios.

    Howard

Similar Threads

  1. kinoppix 3.7 and usb pen drive problems
    By nirVaan in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 11:32 PM
  2. USB hard drive problems
    By jaciii in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 06:49 PM
  3. move Knoppix to the hard drive problems cfdisk fatal error
    By bubazoo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 05:19 PM
  4. Floppy Drive Problems
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 02:14 AM
  5. USB drive problems
    By ivi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Compaq 2930A Handheld Computer PC Software Accessories Voyager VGA picture

Vintage Compaq 2930A Handheld Computer PC Software Accessories Voyager VGA

$199.95



Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse picture

Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse

$159.95



Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM picture

Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM

$275.00



Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor  Other picture

Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other

$299.99



Ramworks III Vintage Apple IIe Computer Memory Card picture

Ramworks III Vintage Apple IIe Computer Memory Card

$65.00



Rare Vintage VideoBrain 101 Family Computer Umtech POWERS ON RARE AS IS 517BK3 picture

Rare Vintage VideoBrain 101 Family Computer Umtech POWERS ON RARE AS IS 517BK3

$2400.00



Vintage Rare California Computer Systems 2  Boards for S-100 Systems 64k DRAM picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems 2 Boards for S-100 Systems 64k DRAM

$345.00



Apple Vintage Workstation GPU/Graphics Card 630-4179 For Apple picture

Apple Vintage Workstation GPU/Graphics Card 630-4179 For Apple

$49.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17

Apple Studio Display Monitor CRT 17" Clear Vintage Untested READ BROKEN STAND

$300.00