Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Modify "Look and Feel": Toolbars, Buttons, Etc.?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53

    Modify "Look and Feel": Toolbars, Buttons, Etc.?

    This is one of those questions where I'm sure the answers would be easy to find if I only knew the right keywords . . .

    I've just replaced my old Knoppix 3.2 hdd install with the Knoppix 3.3 of February 16, 2004. Installation and configuration have been smooth, with one exception -- I can't figure out how to abandon some new X "look and feel" settings that I dislike. I'm pretty sure they're X settings because I can alter themes, icon sets, etc. in both KDE and iceWM without fixing what bugs me, which is that selection buttons on toolbars and the toolbars themselves are rounded, puffy, and pillowlike (as if making them look thick and soft will make it more comfortable to select them?).

    I think it makes them harder to see. Here's a couple of screenshots of what I'm talking about.

    What configuration option(s) should I explore to make these "widgets" (right word?) look plainer? Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    The link to your screenshots doesn't work, so it's hard to know what you mean.
    This sounds like it might be a Styles issue, which is under the Appearances>Styles section of the Control Center. Again, it's hard to say without seeing what you are talking about. Fix your link and I'll try to help.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    That was a mighty quick reply! The page went up a few minutes after the forum post (I wanted to put a link to this thread on the page). It's there now.

    I've definitely spent a lot of time in Appearances --> Styles without finding an answer. And I'm not sure how or why altering KDE styles would affect how things look over in iceWM.

    What calls the default set of widgets across X Windows for Knoppix?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    53
    Problem solved! It's complicated; the best explanation is here.

    Basically, a GTK theme called Geramik was bossing Knoppix around and imposing its ugly view of what buttons should look like on applications built with GTK. (Check that link above if all of this is gibberish.)

    So you can liberate Knoppix 3.3 from Geramik. Go look to find out how.

Similar Threads

  1. "forum" versus "board"
    By tmp000 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
  2. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  4. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer picture

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer

$600.00



Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion  picture

Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion

$115.00



Commodore Amiga Color CRT Monitor Model 1084S-P Stereo - Parts Or Repair picture

Commodore Amiga Color CRT Monitor Model 1084S-P Stereo - Parts Or Repair

$100.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99