Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ran Knoppix - now win2K won't startup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    Ran Knoppix - now win2K won't startup

    I'm a total Knoppix/Linux noob, so please bear with me. I have a Win2K machine with NTFS on RAID 0 (two drives). I ran the Knoppix 3.3 CD for the first time last night, and now Win2K will not startup properly. It gets through the text and graphical mode startup screens, even plays the startup music, but then the machine hangs while it's populating the taskbar with Quick Launch icons, sometimes displaying a small dialog box that says "Unknown hard error". The only thing I did in Knoppix that now has me worried is I created (and saved) a test file in the OpenOffice word processor. I have to admit, I was a little mystified as to WHERE it saved it since I thought Knoppix wouldn't write to my HD. Now it seems that I hosed my system.

    What can I do to correct this?

    Thanks,
    Russ Chinoy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Well it probably saved it to the knoppix home directory. Unless you change the read/write privlages of knoppix you coudn't of saved it. and with you being a newbie chances are that you didn't tell it to enable writing to a NTFS file system.

    Its probably just chance that it happened after you used knoopix. What kind of RAID config are you useing? if its (I think) RAID config 1 (which is where one dirve exactly mirrors the main drive) then take one of the drive out and try booting up (after undoing the RAID of course) Its probably a hardware rather then software problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Actually, it's RAID 0, which is striping rather than mirroring. I can't imagine this is just coincidental. If I inadvertently mounted the drive and did write to it, what can I do to fix it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I'm not sure you can fix it really.

    Anyway by default when you mount a drive from KDE it won't let you write. And even if you try to change the settings with a NTFS drive in KDE it will give you an error saying that it won't do it because it might curropt the drive. You'd have to manually change the settings.

    If you are having troubles then you may want to back up files then re install windows. but thats just the last resort.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    So when I saw my test.doc file on the KDE desktop, where was it being stored?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    on a ramdisk, that is a "virtual" disk made up from a part of your ram.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    exactly.

    Knoppix makes a virtual hardrive out of your ram so it has something to load the software into. If you just saw it on your desktop and thats the only thing you saved then chances are that this problem happened purly by chance.

Similar Threads

  1. installed knoppix hdb and win2k on hda1 is now unbootable
    By karpos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 12:08 PM
  2. Migration from win2k to knoppix linux distro.~~~~ need help
    By shanan2463 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 11:01 AM
  3. Knoppix/Win2k Dual Boot Issue
    By saberworks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
  4. Bootloader Fun & Games (GRUB, Knoppix, Win2k)
    By displaced in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 05:26 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00