Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Smart boot

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31

    Smart boot

    Wow , im a newbie greenhorn at Linux , i finally got Knoppix to boot using the boot disk info I found in the Knoppix folder. first i tried Smart Boot and no luck it seems there are too many things to do like Compilingetc, etc, Smart boot is supposed to be simple to use. I just hope they dont make it any more complicated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Smart boot

    Quote Originally Posted by proto
    Wow , im a newbie greenhorn at Linux , i finally got Knoppix to boot using the boot disk info I found in the Knoppix folder. first i tried Smart Boot and no luck it seems there are too many things to do like Compilingetc, etc, Smart boot is supposed to be simple to use. I just hope they dont make it any more complicated!
    Well I'm glad you got Knoppix to boot but SBM is anything but complicated. It comes as a windows .exe file! I don't think it could be much easier than that. Under Linux simply download the sbminst-static, make it executable and run it. You can even point the installer to your hdd so that you wiill have the option of booting from cdrom given to you when you power on.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    35
    Jeremy Davis of the FreeDOS Project has succeeded in transforming Smart Boot Manager into a Comboot program for Syslinux/Isolinux.

    it's started the same way as Memtest for example
    http://fdos.org/bootdisks/autogen/btmgr-3.7-1.cbt.zip

    example bootdisk:
    (option 1, then 3 for starting SBM, then cdrom)

    http://fdos.org/ripcord/beta9rc5/fdos1440.img

    now we can boot from cdrom on any 386+ computer, even though the BIOS eltorito support was for Pentium or newer.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31

    SBM

    I tried DLing SBM linux sbminst-static ,all I got was a text file on the Desktop where I placed it?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31

    SBM compiling

    I understand I have to compile the Text Document I downloaded but when I click on the link in SBM all i get is some web hosting co? in the UK. Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: SBM compiling

    Quote Originally Posted by proto
    I understand I have to compile the Text Document I downloaded but when I click on the link in SBM all i get is some web hosting co? in the UK. Thanks
    No compiling necessary.

    Make the script executable.

    Code:
    chmod +x sbminst-static
    Then run the script:

    Code:
    ./sbminst-static

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    31

    how to make SBM executable?

    How do I make the Text Document executable?

Similar Threads

  1. Smart boot manager
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 05:58 PM
  2. Smart Boot Manager
    By proto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 12:06 PM
  3. Smart boot manager
    By proto in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:22 PM
  4. Smart Boot Manager
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 08:25 PM
  5. Smart Boot Manager
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC 16TB ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive RAID - 100% Health picture

OWC 16TB ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive RAID - 100% Health

$1212.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49