Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Installing Programs Help.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18

    Installing Programs Help.

    Im very new to Linux, and enjoying it so far, Knoppix has sucsueded in puting in most things I need, except for a few things. So I like get DCGUI's RPM file, and I open it and click install and it brings this up, now I took a short look and I don't think Knoppix has a program called alien, so what do I do about this error?

    <mnt/hdd1/dclib-0.2.21-1mdk.i586.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    I didn't see anything about this in the documentation.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    use apt-get install dc...
    or get a *.deb and install that.
    or apt-get install alien, download a alien.deb...

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18
    In the shell thing?

    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ apt-get install dc
    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ apt-get install alien
    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

    What does that mean? It does not sound very good! And where do I get a .deb? (Yes I am an uber n00p)

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18
    (Sorry for the double post!)

    Ah well I seem to be getting closer, when I try to install a .deb in kpackage it says Read-only file system so I looked, and couldnt find anything, so could some one point me to a place where I can learn where I can set the File system to non read only?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Hang on, are you running Knoppix from the CD?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18
    Yes, I don't have it on the drive, I use the live CD.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18
    I hate to keep bumping this thread up, but can anyone help? It says my file system is read only so I cant install my .deb, so how do I change my file system? I looked and cant find it anywhere, and I really would like to get my BT to work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Prons
    I hate to keep bumping this thread up, but can anyone help? It says my file system is read only so I cant install my .deb, so how do I change my file system? I looked and cant find it anywhere, and I really would like to get my BT to work.
    You have to install knoppix to the HD to install additional software.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes hddinstall or making a "custm" cd, are only ways you can get a new program onto knoppix.
    the custom part is not an easy task for a beginner.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Programs
    By crix in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 04:26 PM
  2. Installing Programs Help
    By Fuel in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 07:32 PM
  3. help with installing programs NOT with apt-get
    By cyKeMatica in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
  4. Installing Programs
    By computerkid14 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:39 AM
  5. NEED HELP INSTALLING PROGRAMS!!! PLEASE!!!
    By digitaldeity in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM picture

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM

$19.99



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00