Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ah Knoppix, how I love thee

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    12

    Ah Knoppix, how I love thee

    So, it's spring break. I got bored, and my bro burned me the newest knoppix CD. So since my last damnsmall linux install is kind of... jury rigged.. I decided I'd go and try Knoppix install.

    Smooth as anything. I've already got pretty much everything up and running. It's almost kind of dissappointing in away, I figured I would spend a lot of time just getting stuff running, but everything just.. worked.. it was kind of freaky.

    Anyhow, I'm happy now. Just some more fine tuning, which we all know will never end

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Quick question before this gets to the bottom of the page...

    What would be the best way to transfer this knoppix install to a different partition? make an image of it, copy it(with what arguments?), or some other way?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead
    Quick question before this gets to the bottom of the page...

    What would be the best way to transfer this knoppix install to a different partition? make an image of it, copy it(with what arguments?), or some other way?

    Thanks!
    boot knoppix from cd, unmount all harddisks, then enter "dd if=/dev/hdxn of=/dev/hdxn" in the knoppix root shell. (Note: x stands for the IDE hard drive thats being used here; a is the master on the first controller, b would be the slave on the first controller and c is the master on the second controller and so on... n is the partition number; use "fdisk -l /dev/hdx" to find out! In case you don't know; if means input file and of means output file!) Oh, and make sure that you want to copy to is the same size or larger than the source partition ! But you can always use partimage for this if you are not familiar with dd!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Ok, I just want to clarify:

    /dev/hda5 is a 5 gig partition
    /dev/hda7 is a 2.5 gig partition
    Right now knoppix is installed on /dev/hda7, I want to move it to hda5, so the command I type is:
    dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hda5

    right?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    in the slackware install the comand cp -a is used, does that help?
    quote from man cp.
    -a, --archive
    Preserve as much as possible of the structure and
    attributes of the original files in the copy (but
    do not preserve directory structure). Equivalent
    to -dpR.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead
    Ok, I just want to clarify:

    /dev/hda5 is a 5 gig partition
    /dev/hda7 is a 2.5 gig partition
    Right now knoppix is installed on /dev/hda7, I want to move it to hda5, so the command I type is:
    dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hda5

    right?
    I don't think that using dd would make sense here, you'd be better off using partimage when booting from cd, then tell partimage to make a image of /dev/hda7 and split the image in 650Mb chunks and temporarily store them on /dev/hda5, then boot your hdinstalled knoppix, burn those images onto cdr(w) (just in case something goes wrong! Double check whether you burned them correctly!!), boot from cd and dump the images onto /dev/hda5 using partimage, done! Then you can reformat /dev/hda7 Of course you need to modify /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo (from cd within a chroot environment if neccessary) to tell the bootloader that your root partition has moved!! whatever you do, be careful, losing data in not fun

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead
    Ok, I just want to clarify:

    /dev/hda5 is a 5 gig partition
    /dev/hda7 is a 2.5 gig partition
    Right now knoppix is installed on /dev/hda7, I want to move it to hda5, so the command I type is:
    dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hda5

    right?

    Boot with the Knoppix CD and then you would in a console window.
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
    sudo mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7
    sudo cp -Rp /mnt/hda7/* /mnt/hda5/
    sudo vi /mnt/hda5/etc/fstab
    sudo vi /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf
    sudo chroot /mnt/hda5/ /sbin/lilo -v
    You need to edit the fstab to change the mount point for the / partition and in the lilo.conf change it to root=/dev/hda5 the chroot will write the new lilo configuration to the disk. Note: When editing lilo if you have installed lilo to the /dev/hda7 old / partition then you should change the boot= to /dev/hda5 if it is going into the MBR then you will be fine and make sure that you format the /dev/hda5 partition before you copy to eliminate any possibility leftover files that may be on it you would make sure the fs type in the /etc/fstab matches for the new / partition as well.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for all the help guys! All I really wanted to know was which would be better, dd or cp for moving everything, and I just wasn't sure how to use dd.

    Thanks again though!

Similar Threads

  1. sharin' the knoppix love
    By spammehere1234 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 05:08 AM
  2. I Love IT ! But have some issues with Knoppix
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2003, 02:32 PM
  3. I love Knoppix
    By johnsandidge in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
  4. Why I love knoppix (and linux/free/open software in general)
    By tearinghairout in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
  5. For god sake, i love knoppix but i want a HD install
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails picture

1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails

$310.00