-
About using KNOPPIX to boot a WinXP Pro system...
Well, this is a long one hehe, but heres my question. I have a system that a year ago stopped being able to boot do to issues with a bad WinXP install. I understand I could format but even that is complicated since I cant get to a command promt when XP is trying to boot.
But more importantly I havent formated because theres files on the system I wish to retrive before I attempt a format. I have a USB hard drive, and by the slim chance it runs on Linux do you believe I could retrieve the files using this disk to boot up?
I know very little about Linux, but I also am starting to have little faith in Windows as time goes on heh. So I am willing to try anything as long as I can get these files off the system.
Thank you for any responses or comments you can give on this.
Rob
-
Easiest way to copy over the files would be to plug in the HD from your non-bootable computer as a slave into another comp.
If you have 2 boxes, which your post implies, you can have a look at another post with the subject "various questions" just a couple of posts down, or up
to do it via samba.
And yes, if knoppix recognises your USB HD, you can use it.
-
To get to a command prompt all you have to do is either put in a Win 98/ME/XP floppy and boot or put in your Windows 98/ME/XP CD and set your BIOS to boot from the CDROM.
If you want to save your files and rescue the Windows installation just simply re-install XP over the existing installation without formatting.
It will replace all the necessary system files, but won't touch your personal files after that Windows XP should boot as normal.
Similar Threads
-
By ziyad in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
-
By Oceany in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:26 PM
-
By hukdonfonix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
-
By SgtRauksauff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
-
By A.T.O.B in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 20
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Xeon W-3245 16-Core 3.2GHz (SRFFD) Apple MAC PRO A1991 CPU Processor
$199.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99