I am running c't 3.4 from an image on my hard drive (poor man's install?). I have i think installed apt-get from K/Knoppix/Utilities//Install software/apt-get.
I ran apt-get update which was OK then apt-get install which didn't. It ran all the way through and then gave an error message:-
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 515 not upgraded.
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Am I attempting the impossible in trying to update Knoppix when not installed on my hard drive?

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.75