Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How can I uninstall xlibmesa-gl?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    How can I uninstall xlibmesa-gl?

    Hi folks,

    I want to install a new graphics driver for my ATI Radeon 9600.
    But when I try to install the Driver provided by the ATI support site (fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm converted to a .deb file with alien) kpackage complains about libGL.so.1.2 that is also in xlibmesa-gl.

    So I decided to uninstall xlibmesa-gl because I thougt it is not needed and the ATI driver will provide its own libGL. But kpackage (I also tried synaptic) lists up a lot of packages (~400MB) that have to be deinstalled.

    A lot of these packages should IMHO not be related to openGL (ex.: kedit!). How can that be - and how can I deinstall just that mesa-GL library? (without wiping nearly the whole system

    Or is there another way installing that driver?

    My system:
    - Intel P4 3.06GHz, 512MB
    - ATI Radeon 9600, 128 MB
    - 60GB
    - Knoppix HD-Installation (debian-style)

    thank you very much,
    Padautz

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    I'm definitely NOT an expert, but can't you force the upgrade?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    As far as I can see there is no kind of "force" button in kpackage. It just gives out that error message ("package contains libGL.so.1.2 already in xlibmesa-gl") and stops.

    Perhaps there is another tool that can do that?
    OK. it seems I have to do some research...

    I can understand, that this could be a problem - mesaGL will no longer work if some of its libs are overwritten. On the other hand, I don't need it anymore if the new graphics driver provides openGL.

    thank you for your reply,
    Padautz

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    19
    Code:
    dpkg -force-overwrite
    is what you want, though it may break things. Basically, I think you should be OK, provided you keep mesa-gl even though you're not using it . I have NVidia not ATI though, so I'm no expert.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thank you!
    The --force-overwrite did work.

    Now I have to recompile the driver. But obviously my knoppix CD (latest c't edition) does not contain the kernel sources. OK - I could get them by downloading from the web. But perhaps it would be better to get a 'full' linux distribution.

    I have NVidia not ATI though, [...].
    Lucky guy!

Similar Threads

  1. Uninstall?
    By harryhood in forum Klik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 09:01 PM
  2. How to uninstall?
    By Lumma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 11:16 PM
  3. glib uninstall
    By cristinel in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
  4. uninstall HDD
    By Liquidant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 03:46 AM
  5. uninstall X
    By lilliput in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2003, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR** picture

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR**

$89.99



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00