I'm definitely NOT an expert, but can't you force the upgrade?
Hi folks,
I want to install a new graphics driver for my ATI Radeon 9600.
But when I try to install the Driver provided by the ATI support site (fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm converted to a .deb file with alien) kpackage complains about libGL.so.1.2 that is also in xlibmesa-gl.
So I decided to uninstall xlibmesa-gl because I thougt it is not needed and the ATI driver will provide its own libGL. But kpackage (I also tried synaptic) lists up a lot of packages (~400MB) that have to be deinstalled.
A lot of these packages should IMHO not be related to openGL (ex.: kedit!). How can that be - and how can I deinstall just that mesa-GL library? (without wiping nearly the whole system
Or is there another way installing that driver?
My system:
- Intel P4 3.06GHz, 512MB
- ATI Radeon 9600, 128 MB
- 60GB
- Knoppix HD-Installation (debian-style)
thank you very much,
Padautz
I'm definitely NOT an expert, but can't you force the upgrade?
As far as I can see there is no kind of "force" button in kpackage. It just gives out that error message ("package contains libGL.so.1.2 already in xlibmesa-gl") and stops.
Perhaps there is another tool that can do that?
OK. it seems I have to do some research...
I can understand, that this could be a problem - mesaGL will no longer work if some of its libs are overwritten. On the other hand, I don't need it anymore if the new graphics driver provides openGL.
thank you for your reply,
Padautz
is what you want, though it may break things. Basically, I think you should be OK, provided you keep mesa-gl even though you're not using itCode:dpkg -force-overwrite. I have NVidia not ATI though, so I'm no expert.
Thank you!
The --force-overwrite did work.
Now I have to recompile the driver. But obviously my knoppix CD (latest c't edition) does not contain the kernel sources. OK - I could get them by downloading from the web. But perhaps it would be better to get a 'full' linux distribution.
Lucky guy!I have NVidia not ATI though, [...].![]()

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60
Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40
Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP
$149.99
HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚
$140.00
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
ASUS Blade Server LAN Web Remote Management KVM Module Chip IPMI 2.0 ASMB9-iKVM
$49.99
AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00