Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 4 Problemz> AC97, printer, ntfs, winmodem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    2

    4 Problemz> AC97, printer, ntfs, winmodem

    Hi guyz. I got some problemz. [ !NEWBIE! ]

    problem 1: I got onboard sound Realtek AC'97. doesn't work, of corz. It worked when knoppix booted from cd. but now i have knoppix on hd and my sound doesnt work. get message something like dev/dsp doesnt xist or sthn. Someone said to run alsa-autoconfig but there's no file with such or similar name.

    problem 2: cannot add printer. Simply add printer item is grayish and unclickable. what da heck???

    problem 3: after mounting win partitionz (ntfs), i don't get all filez and dirz!!! i think that i miss dirz named with charz like ?????ýáíéäúô???? and so on.
    what da heck???

    problem 4: pci modem... ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem. I Press Query modem. I get > Initializing modem, modem ready... Then I get some ATsomething and empty linez next2it. Of corz, connection doesn't work.

    thx 4 help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: 4 Problemz> AC97, printer, ntfs, winmodem

    Quote Originally Posted by vratnik
    Hi guyz. I got some problemz. [ !NEWBIE! ]

    problem 1: I got onboard sound Realtek AC'97. doesn't work, of corz. It worked when knoppix booted from cd. but now i have knoppix on hd and my sound doesnt work. get message something like dev/dsp doesnt xist or sthn. Someone said to run alsa-autoconfig but there's no file with such or similar name.
    As root /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig then edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put aumix -w 75 -v 75 near the bottom of the file for the levels to be set on boot.

    problem 2: cannot add printer. Simply add printer item is grayish and unclickable. what da heck???
    Again as root /etc/init.d/cupsys start then try to configure and you may want to go to http://www.linuxprinting.org/ and see about the support for the printer and instructions for cups.

    problem 3: after mounting win partitionz (ntfs), i don't get all filez and dirz!!! i think that i miss dirz named with charz like ?????ýáíéäúô???? and so on.
    what da heck???
    That looks like an encoding problem with the character set being used I believe there is an encoding setting that you can use in the fstab. I have zero experience with that so you should probably Google on it unless someone else here knows the solution.

    problem 4: pci modem... ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem. I Press Query modem. I get > Initializing modem, modem ready... Then I get some ATsomething and empty linez next2it. Of corz, connection doesn't work.

    thx 4 help
    Never setup a modem in Linux only net connections so cannot be of any help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    2
    ok but there's no alsa-autoconfig or any alsa-named file. I waz lookin 4 it on the whole disk, not only /etc/init.d
    so there must b another solution.

    s far s my printer iz concerned, the problem iz that during the installation it asked whether 2 run @ startup samba, graphical login, and other blahs, including cupsd, which should b some printing server or sthn like thiz. I said NO to all of these serverz. So now i have 2 get cupsd 2 start with the system. i added cupsys (cupsys b-coz there's no other file named cups-like) in some v-sys init editor i added cupsys in2 runlevel 5 but no sux-ass (success!)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Here's what I did as root to get cupsys to run on startup:
    Code:
    update-rc.d cupsys defaults 80

Similar Threads

  1. Ac97 detected, no sound
    By greygooseplz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 10:12 AM
  2. Problem with AC97 sound
    By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 04:31 PM
  3. Soundcard trouble ac97 of course
    By lace99 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:08 AM
  4. Printer issues CUPS/Printer Server/OptraE+
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 05:24 PM
  5. avance ac97 audio
    By Matthew in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell Latitude 5420 14

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY

$276.35



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro picture

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT picture

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT

$129.95



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99