The kernel needs PPP support. Either insert the module using modprobe ("modprobe ppp") or rebuild the kernel with PPP and SLIP support either built-in or as modules.
Yes, looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the kernel for sound anyway: there are no Debian modules for the via8233 and the 20 series kernel (which is pretty damn odd: what's the point of having a bleeding edge kernel with stone age sound drivers?). Such is life.



I started using SuSE instead of Red Hat - and I've not been disappointed at all.
I used to really rate SuSE until 8.0 came out and virtually nothing worked: no proper recognition for combo drives, Lilo instead of Grub, no script to set up ISA modems and the whole "we don't really care" attitude since they stopped being a privately owned firm. So, I thought, with this level of support I may as well go Debian or Gentoo.[/quote]