Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Installing Knoppix to HDD Totally Confused?!!

  1. #1

    Installing Knoppix to HDD Totally Confused?!!

    Hi,

    I'm new to Knoppix yet I'm using it via CD right now to post this thread. I have been trying for the past hour and half to get it installed to HDD with BIGTIME confusion. The disk I'm using is a 6gig with no fancy partitions or anything on it.. it had WindowsXP installed on it so I guess you can say it actually does have a fancy partition (NTFS) but anyways. I'm getting lost as hell trying to use this QParted thing to do all the millions of little and big partitions that linux has to have and I'm not understanding one damn bit of how this program works. I put this CD in the drive booted to Knoppix and issued the command "sudo knoppix-install and it came up saying that it hath detected some steps that need to be done before installation (hence the partitioning) so I agreed to move on to do this task for it as it requested and it pukes up this QTParted program that, if my mind hasn't failed me requires a degree from MIT inorder to know how to use. If someone has such a degree from said Institute could you please tell me in the MOST lament and n00bish terms possible to get this damn HDD partitioned for this installation to continue so's that I may enjoy the creamy goodness of which is Knoppix.
    Thanks from OMFG!!

    Nevermind hehe.. just got my degree.. found out i wouldn't clicking on "Commit" hehe kthnx

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19
    Lol, it confused the hell outa me too.

    I only had 1 partition, and I couldnt find a good linux program to split it.

    I think the easiest way is using a program called fips
    (http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/fips20.zip"

    Unzip it in C:\fips\

    Then Start > Turn off Computer > Restart in MS DOS mode.

    once ur in dos, enter:

    cd C:\fips\
    fips

    You can then follow some instructions and split the disk where u want.

    Once uve down, write the partition, and reboot into linux. From then you can hdinstall and hopefully the partitioning will make more sense.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You could always use knx-hdinstall instead.

    Or else, run cfdisk /dev/hd(?) first.

    You say
    it had WindowsXP
    so can we assume that XP is no longer on your system?

    You want 3 partitions (ideally -- you can get away with 2, but a seperate /home is a very good idea):

    / 3 - 4 GB (Linux)
    swap no more that 500Mb (Linux Swap)
    /home (as big as you like) (Linux)

    I make everything a "real" partition.

    You can then fire up knoppix-install and -- with a bit of luck -- you won't have to use QTParted. [/quote]

Similar Threads

  1. Totally New
    By tfoso in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 08:28 PM
  2. Confused Newbie vs Knoppix 3.7. Round 1.
    By gadgerama in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
  3. totally new to knoppix ='(
    By shakejello in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
  4. very confused....
    By poundsmack in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 10:02 AM
  5. Totally baffled with compressed Knoppix and ISO Knoppix
    By Ewen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99