Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: ok...walk me through this...cdrom and cdrom1

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15

    ok...walk me through this...cdrom and cdrom1

    Hello, my name is Silver_Seagull and I am a Linux noob.

    OK, got Knoppix on its own partition (knx-hdinstall - ver 3.3 old) with a dual-boot LILO with Win XP home.

    Got my GeForce 4 Ti4400 all drivered-up (nvidia drivers installed and working )

    Can't get Knoppix (Debian technically I suppose) to recognize my optical drives. The drives are a DVD-ROM as master on the second IDE controller and a slave Yamaha CDR-F1 on the same cable. All the jumpers are in right etc...they work fine in Win-blows....I mean, Windows.

    Now here's the curve-ball...I've dropped a DVD into the drive and have Ogle and Xine installed with libdvdcss 1.2.8....the DVD runs like shite (16x player..go figure) but that's for another thread. The thing is tho, it RUNS it. I can also start up K3B and have it recognize both drives and burn stuff to the Yamaha @ its top speed of 44x.

    But I CANNOT, for the life of me, get it to mount the drives separately. You know, like as icons on the desktop...or even access them outside of the above mentioned programs.....

    help would be much appreciated.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: ok...walk me through this...cdrom and cdrom1

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Seagull
    Can't get Knoppix (Debian technically I suppose) to recognize my optical drives. The drives are a DVD-ROM as master on the second IDE controller and a slave Yamaha CDR-F1 on the same cable. All the jumpers are in right etc...they work fine in Win-blows....I mean, Windows.

    Now here's the curve-ball...I've dropped a DVD into the drive and have Ogle and Xine installed with libdvdcss 1.2.8....the DVD runs like shite (16x player..go figure) but that's for another thread. The thing is tho, it RUNS it. I can also start up K3B and have it recognize both drives and burn stuff to the Yamaha @ its top speed of 44x.
    These problems have already been solved many times over. You need to do a search on this site and in the FAQs for fstab for the mount problem and hdparm and DMA for the DVD skipping problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    thanks for the reply....I did look and try the stuff on the site and it didn't seem to help....for some reason, I just booted and it seems to work....ty tho.

    As for the DVD skipping problem....I have looked around and nothing seems to help....the hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom OR /dev/dvd don't work because I get this:
    Quote Originally Posted by #
    # hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom:
    operation not supported on SCSI disks
    And I am left sittingthere thinking WTF. It's an IDE cable, channel and Windows sees them as IDE as well (I checked to make sure I wasn't crazy)

    Ideas?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Seagull
    thanks for the reply....I did look and try the stuff on the site and it didn't seem to help....for some reason, I just booted and it seems to work....ty tho.

    As for the DVD skipping problem....I have looked around and nothing seems to help....the hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom OR /dev/dvd don't work because I get this:
    Quote Originally Posted by #
    # hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom:
    operation not supported on SCSI disks
    And I am left sittingthere thinking WTF. It's an IDE cable, channel and Windows sees them as IDE as well (I checked to make sure I wasn't crazy)

    Ideas?
    What kernel are you using?

    uname -r

    Linux uses scsi emulation to access cdrom drives (no longer true w/ kernel 2.6.*). That's why they are seen as SCSI drives.

    Try this:

    cdrecord -scanbus

    ls -al /dev/cdrom

    /dev/cdrom should be a symlink pointing to your actual drive.

    Try

    hdparm -d /dev/scd0

    (or wherever your drive is on the SCSI BUS).

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    ok, I tried what you said. My kernel is 2.4.24-xfs

    this is what I get when I try the ls-al /dev/cdrom and then the hdparm thing
    Quote Originally Posted by #
    # ls -al /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 10 12:30 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    root@Box:~# hdparm -d /dev/scd0

    /dev/scd0:
    operation not supported on SCSI disks
    When I did the scanbus I got the following (I'm working as su for this)
    Quote Originally Posted by #
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'IDE-DVD ' 'ROM 16x ' 'HD08' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) 'YAMAHA ' 'CRW-F1E ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *
    All I want is for the DVD drive to be DMA-enabled...I'll admit I'm lost...what to do?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try using /dev/hdc that should enable the dma on the actual device. Use as root hdparm /dev/hdc to see the settings before you change the setting to make sure it is not already enabled if this is the case then there is some other problem.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    sounds like a plan stephen....

    um, how do I do that? I got an error message from hdparm that looks like there's no device on hdc...but how do I do what you were saying about changing it to hdc? fstab? and if so, what do I change?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Seagull
    sounds like a plan stephen....

    um, how do I do that? I got an error message from hdparm that looks like there's no device on hdc...but how do I do what you were saying about changing it to hdc? fstab? and if so, what do I change?
    You do not have to change the /etc/fstab setting just use what is already there. You should make sure the link for the /dev/dvd points to the /dev/scd0. Can we see the output of the command here is what it looks like on my system.

    Code:
    >$ su
    Password:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# hdparm /dev/hdc
    
    /dev/hdc:
     HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
     IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
     unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
     using_dma    =  1 (on)
     keepsettings =  0 (off)
     readonly     =  0 (off)
     readahead    = 256 (on)
     HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
    
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
    
    /dev/hdc:
     setting using_dma to 1 (on)
     using_dma    =  1 (on)
    
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom
    
    /dev/cdrom:
     operation not supported on SCSI disks
    
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd
    
    /dev/dvd:
     operation not supported on SCSI disks
    
    
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# cdrecord --scanbus
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.30
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus0:
            0,0,0     0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4040B' 'A104' Removable CD-ROM
            0,1,0     1) *
     
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>               <dump>  <pass>
    
    /dev/scd0       /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0
    
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# ls -l /dev/dvd
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2004-03-06 23:41 /dev/dvd -> /dev/scd0
    If you need to set the dma you should make the changes in the file /etc/hdparm.conf with something like this.
    Code:
    /dev/hdc {
           dma = on
           interrupt_unmask = on
    }
    At the bottom of the file.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    ok, I'm really really sorry, but I don't get what you mean stephen...I'm really that green

    I tried following what you did in the example but nothing seemed to change (yes I rebooted) this is what it is set up as now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrecord --scanbus
    # cdrecord -scanbus
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'IDE-DVD ' 'ROM 16x ' 'HD08' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) 'YAMAHA ' 'CRW-F1E ' '1.0f' Removable CD-ROM
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *
    Quote Originally Posted by fstab
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda2 / xfs defaults 0 1
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparm -d /dev/dvd
    /dev/dvd:
    operation not supported on SCSI disks
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparm -d /dev/cdrom
    /dev/cdrom:
    operation not supported on SCSI disks
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparm -d /dev/cdrom1
    /dev/cdrom1:
    operation not supported on SCSI disks
    I am honestly lost as to what I need to do. I'm really sorry to be eating up your time with my stupid questions..

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    That is ok, what does hdparm /dev/hdc and hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc say those are the important commands for me to see and you are root when you are doing the commands right? Oh and this is not windows you really do not have to reboot for many procedures you will get used to it after awhile especially when you install software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. /cdrom /cdrom1, can not be mounted!
    By tsitras in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
  2. DOSbootdisk, can someone walk me through it.
    By Eradicator in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 04:01 AM
  3. Could not create mount point '/mnt/auto/cdrom1'
    By milne in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 01:26 AM
  4. Soundblaster 16 PCI, anyone wanna walk a newbie through?
    By smiley in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 08:09 AM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00