-
Maxtor External USB Hard drive
My windows xp machine crashed with an Unmountable_Boot_Volume error so I turned to knoppix to attempt to recover my data. I tried to use my Maxtor External USB Hard drive to back up my data, but Knoppix doesn't recognize the drive. Can someone help me find out how i can get knoppix to recognize the drive?
-
I have a working maxtor onetouch 300 gb on linux.
if i remember correctly knoppix configures automatically correct if its connected on boot time.
i have conneted the drive via firewire
I have this in my /etc/fstab
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
you should make sure that you have a working hotplug
if you have installed knoppix on hard drive and have know a different user name and not the default knoppix you have to adapt your uid=username and gid=groupname to your actual user and group name..
hope that helps
-
Senior Member
registered user
I can olny comment on firewire - I find that versdions 3.3 onwards for my Maxtor external drive to be recognised, I have to run the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script.
for emergency stuff, I keep a copy of knoppix 3.2 around as this version recognises and mounts my firewire drives automatically.
sorry have not yet played around with USB in Linux (firewire has been enough of a battle!)
@Breakout
post the results of "lspci -v" and "lsmod" if you need further help (both commands might have to be run as root).
Similar Threads
-
By grakem in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
-
By thrustan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 11:36 PM
-
By photo312 in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:09 PM
-
By Phatmonkey in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM
-
By autumnhome in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Desktop Processor (4.7GHz, 8 Cores, Socket AM4)
$150.00

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00